Getting rid of critters - solved!

anonapersona

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
When you have invested a lot of time and money into your property, it is really annoying to have nightime critters dig up the flower beds or move in where they are not wanted.

For the last few years we have tried to make peace with the raccoon family that lives under the screen porch, but they keep digging up the garden and on occasion they let a skunk move in at the other end. I've chased them off for a short while with a sonic device but it has damaged MY hearing, not sure about theirs, and so I was still trying to figure out what to do. I refuse to trap them for the local wildlife rehab group tells me that the mom raccoon keeps the kids with her until she is pregnant again then she kicks them out, so there are always someone in the den, you can't screen it at night when mom is gone and know for sure that the kids are not inside. And trapping and releasing puts the critter into some other critters territory and they try to go home anyway and get hit by a car. So, convincing them to leave on their own is the kindest thing to do, so they take the kids with them.

In a catalog I found something called Night Guard, $20 + shipping from the manufacturer. It is a simple solar powered flashing red light that just makes night predators uncomfortable, so that they want to go elsewhere. Hey! It works! It works only on line of sight (about 30 degree spread), so you may need more than one. When I put one above the entrance they used to get under the porch, they did not come back in. They did continue to dig up the garden just around the corner, but not where the light was visible.

Says it works for owls, hawks, bears, coyotes, skunk, raccoon, cougars, and deer (but they are pretty smart so you have to keep moving it for deer). I can only say that it has worked for the raccoon.

woodyp said:
I think I'd want more between me and a cougar or bear than a 20 dollar flashing red light! Glad to hear it works on the smaller fry though.

<chuckle> Yeah, I have to agree, if a cougar or bear is threatening you, you need a lot more help than this.

They were promoting this for protecting livestock, chickens, and such, as well as the remote cabin in the woods that is subject to bear break-ins when unattended.

I recall someone on the forum that had issues with skunks living under the decking for the AGP and figured I'd post so that person could hear about this solution.

amjohn said:
do they say it would work on armadillos? the skunks finally left, but armadillos are churning the yard.

You'd have to ask the company... I do not see any mention of armadillos on the site. They are based in Michigan but I am sure they have data from enough Texans to have heard about whether armadillos respond to the lights. They have contact info on the website... and note that I misspelled it. It is Nite Guard, predator control.

I would be interested in this too if it works for armadillos. We have some and they are tearing up my lawn.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.