Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: deck for above ground pool

1. Back To Top    #1

deck for above ground pool

I would love to have a deck, even a small one, for my above ground pool. In order to watch my young daughter swim if I don't want to get in, I have to stand by the pool so I can see over the side. It would be wonderful to have a small deck for a lounge or a couple of small chairs. My dilemma is that I am not a carpenter and would not be able to build this. Is there something available for purchase that would not break the bank? Thank you for your help.
    Intex 20'x10'x52" 5,835 gallon above ground; vinyl; Intex 2,650-Gallon Sand Filter Pump; Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System Model CS8110.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: deck for above ground pool

http://www.deckplans.com/free-deck-plans

YES..................you CAN build a small simple rectangle deck more inexpensively than probably anything else. And it doesn't have to be 4 feet off the ground. 2 foot would be fine for your purpose. Really easy if you have level ground. Google trex deck blocks. No hole digging, concrete and all that.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Something like this maybe? Or do you have the inflatable ring top pool?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Oh both are good ideas. I just love this one... http://www.deckplans.com/side-pool-deck-plans .. I'll have to check out the plans. It would be so wonderful if I could really do this. Thank you.
    Intex 20'x10'x52" 5,835 gallon above ground; vinyl; Intex 2,650-Gallon Sand Filter Pump; Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System Model CS8110.

5. Back To Top    #5

We have a 5 x 13 deck from VinylWorks. It is perfect for our needs. The deck is sturdy, needs virtually no maintenance and held up well to the snow this winter. It has a safety gate and stairs up and also down into the pool. We would love to have a bigger deck, but septic setbacks prevent this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18' Sharkline Matrix, 2 speed pump, cartridge filter, 4x20 Fafco Solar Bear panel, AquaTrol SWG, Pool Rover S240

6. Back To Top    #6

This is perfect! Thank you so much for the pic!

7. Back To Top    #7

Holy moly! I obviously don't know prices so I was surprised at the over $2,000 price tag on that deck. I guess I'm back to looking at the more economical options.

8. Back To Top    #8

If you are handy...the total for the materials for this deck was around $1400...you can easily do a smaller one for $800-900...don't get me wrong...this was built for me...i don't have those kind of skills....hope this helps!

Bo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks all for your amazingly helpful advice! Bo

18x33 Morada pool, 14,100 Gal - 2HP, 2SPD W/Skimmer and Caplet Basket, 125 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System – 8 Gal LQ - TF-100.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

God Bless America!

9. Back To Top    #9

Check craig's list, often you will see someone selling a deck they had around a pool.
    They are happy to get a couple hundred dollars for them and get rid of them at the same time.
    Good luck
    16x32 inground vinyl 8' deep end
    1hp Northstar Pump, 20" Sand Filter
    6ft Double Lounge, 2 Aqua Lamps w/remote
    216sqft Sungrabber Panels (9- 2'x12') a little undersized

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you very much for the ideas. I really appreciate the help. I'm checking out all of the avenues you all have offered.

11. Back To Top    #11

Robins Airman, is that $1400 your out of pocket? We had something similar built 2 seasons ago and it was over $4K!

imcj.....I would check local newspapers too and possibly consider placing an ad online advertising that you're looking for a small metal frame or wood deck for your pool. It's about the time where people are considering taking down pools and so you might be able to snag something for free that's in usable shape.
    -Brian
    13K gal, 24' Above Ground (Sharkline Lyric Model), 52" tall, 9" top rails, Hayward Pro Series S180T Sand Filter and 1HP Pump

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by pool cover pump
    Robins Airman, is that $1400 your out of pocket? We had something similar built 2 seasons ago and it was over $4K!

imcj.....I would check local newspapers too and possibly consider placing an ad online advertising that you're looking for a small metal frame or wood deck for your pool. It's about the time where people are considering taking down pools and so you might be able to snag something for free that's in usable shape.
    That was for the materials...i did not built it my self...the labor cost me $800...wish i had the skills but i don't...that is why i responded to IMCJ with "if you are handy..."

I watched those guys build it...did not look that hard, for a handy person...but then again, had i done it, it would have colapsed by now...

Still got a good deal now that you mention how much you paid...i am not sure how your cost breaks down (labor/materials)...are you in the same ball park for material? Curious...

Bo
    Thanks all for your amazingly helpful advice! Bo

18x33 Morada pool, 14,100 Gal - 2HP, 2SPD W/Skimmer and Caplet Basket, 125 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System – 8 Gal LQ - TF-100.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

God Bless America!

13. Back To Top    #13

You'll find prices are dramatically different, depending on the region you are located in. Timing is everything too A few years ago you had no negotiation room, vs. a much different story today.

While in GA you may be able to set the posts in the ground or use shallow footers, in PA you likely required 42" deep footers, due to frostline. Heck, our deck permit cost us $150 in NY, and that cheap vs. other downstate NY locals.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    You'll find prices are dramatically different, depending on the region you are located in. Timing is everything too A few years ago you had no negotiation room, vs. a much different story today.

While in GA you may be able to set the posts in the ground or use shallow footers, in PA you likely required 42" deep footers, due to frostline. Heck, our deck permit cost us $150 in NY, and that cheap vs. other downstate NY locals.
    We Live in PA and our AGP is nowhere near the house. The Township we live in said we couldn't have a floating deck (would not have attached to the house) We had to dig holes 36 inches down and they checked them lol........built a 24*28 Deck cost about $2000. Paid someone to put Vinyl railing on which cost more than the deck.. Permit was $23