The pool store guy says...

wanderer_roch

LifeTime Supporter
...that using liquid chlorine to maintain the pool adds lots of calcium to the pool. "only some die-hard old-timers still use the liquid"

I thanked him for his advice (that only their Chemicals are the "smart way" to go) and now I'm turning to a community with some pool sages to get a real answer. Any thoughts?

anonapersona said:
Hmm, and how does the pool store guy feel about weekly shocking with powdered cal-hypo products?

Something tells me that he would be fine with that as long as you buy your Cal-hypo from him. :lol:

Ran the first set of numbers with my new Taylor kit. The kit that the pool company gave me when I installed the pool didn't test CYA or CH. So after getting my results and plugging them into the Pool Calculator, there was a need to increase my CH (70) and CYA (45). I decided to let a local pool supply company analyze the water and compare the two. Out popped a fancy printout with a with all their recommendations ($100). She asked me when I last cleaned my filter and I told her last Sunday (3/27). For some reason she plugged the date (2/17) into the computer, which indicated that I needed "filter shampoo" (not included in the $100). I bought what I came in for and left. I sure am glad I found this site.

They have programmed all sorts of recommendations into their custom software. It's designed for one thing and one thing only. To generate revenue. It's not designed to help the pool owner at all.

Like Anona, I'd like to know what all they said you needed.

1lb Alkalinity Increaser, 1.75lbs Stabilizer, 15lbs Calcium, 18oz Algae Inhibitor, 3lbs Maintenance Oxidizer.

Preliminary numbers:

FC 4
PH 7.4
TA 80
CYA 70
CH 250
Salt 3000

SWCG runs from 11am until 5pm @ 15%

Correct me if I'm wrong. Wouldn't running my waterfall bring my PH back up to it's normal level of 7.6, or should I do that chemically?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, the waterfall and the SWG will both tend to drive up the PH over time. If this is troublesome you can lower the TA to 60 and let the PH go up to around 7.7 or 7.8. If it isn't a problem then there is no need to do anything.

Thanks guys. My efforts so far. Just need the water to warm up a little. Shouldn't take too long since the pool is in this much sun from 10am until around 4pm.

0403111053.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.