Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The pool store guy says...

1. Back To Top    #1

The pool store guy says...

...that using liquid chlorine to maintain the pool adds lots of calcium to the pool. "only some die-hard old-timers still use the liquid"

I thanked him for his advice (that only their Chemicals are the "smart way" to go) and now I'm turning to a community with some pool sages to get a real answer. Any thoughts?
    Steve C. in Webster, NY
    24x54 Aboveground, 1 HP 2-speed pump, 120 sq ft cartridge filter
    8 gallon Liquidator
    2 happy children swimming

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The pool store guy says...

Liquid chlorine does not contain calcium. It contains sodium hypochlorite. Calcium hypochlorite is the only type chlorine that contains calcium.

3. Back To Top    #3

Here is a nice little write up on chlorinating options and their pros/cons

pool-school/types_chlorine_pool
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Hmm, and how does the pool store guy feel about weekly shocking with powdered cal-hypo products?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona
    Hmm, and how does the pool store guy feel about weekly shocking with powdered cal-hypo products?
    Something tells me that he would be fine with that as long as you buy your Cal-hypo from him.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks all, I had read the pool school articles before my chat with the pool store guy so it took some self-control to get through the BS he was spouting.
    Steve C. in Webster, NY
    24x54 Aboveground, 1 HP 2-speed pump, 120 sq ft cartridge filter
    8 gallon Liquidator
    2 happy children swimming

7. Back To Top    #7

Ran the first set of numbers with my new Taylor kit. The kit that the pool company gave me when I installed the pool didn't test CYA or CH. So after getting my results and plugging them into the Pool Calculator, there was a need to increase my CH (70) and CYA (45). I decided to let a local pool supply company analyze the water and compare the two. Out popped a fancy printout with a with all their recommendations ($100). She asked me when I last cleaned my filter and I told her last Sunday (3/27). For some reason she plugged the date (2/17) into the computer, which indicated that I needed "filter shampoo" (not included in the $100). I bought what I came in for and left. I sure am glad I found this site.
    Viking Laguna 14K IG , Smart Pure SWCG, SwimClear C5520 Cartridge Filter, TriStar 1.5HP, SmartControl PLP4 controller.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by noaliasneeded
    I decided to let a local pool supply company analyze the water and compare the two. Out popped a fancy printout with a with all their recommendations ($100).
    I gotta ask... what did they want you to add to the pool?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

9. Back To Top    #9

They have programmed all sorts of recommendations into their custom software. It's designed for one thing and one thing only. To generate revenue. It's not designed to help the pool owner at all.

Like Anona, I'd like to know what all they said you needed.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

1lb Alkalinity Increaser, 1.75lbs Stabilizer, 15lbs Calcium, 18oz Algae Inhibitor, 3lbs Maintenance Oxidizer.

Preliminary numbers:

FC 4
    PH 7.4
    TA 80
    CYA 70
    CH 250
    Salt 3000

SWCG runs from 11am until 5pm @ 15%

Correct me if I'm wrong. Wouldn't running my waterfall bring my PH back up to it's normal level of 7.6, or should I do that chemically?
    Viking Laguna 14K IG , Smart Pure SWCG, SwimClear C5520 Cartridge Filter, TriStar 1.5HP, SmartControl PLP4 controller.

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes, the waterfall and the SWG will both tend to drive up the PH over time. If this is troublesome you can lower the TA to 60 and let the PH go up to around 7.7 or 7.8. If it isn't a problem then there is no need to do anything.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

With those numbers I wouldn't recommend anything. If your pH is stable I wouldn't do anything to bring it up. If the SWCG isn't raising it you're in really good shape.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks guys. My efforts so far. Just need the water to warm up a little. Shouldn't take too long since the pool is in this much sun from 10am until around 4pm.

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

That's excellent water chemistry, noalias, and a great looking pool to go with it!! Nice work!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

[center:14kmsn28]The pool store guy says you need

What do I win for guessing correctly?[/center:14kmsn28]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

16. Back To Top    #16

Richard wins Salesman of the Year for excellent product placement.
    Clearwater, Florida

12,000 gallon kidney shaped gunite pool
    Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP Pump
    Pentair CCP420 420sq/ft Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Intellibrite 5G 120V Pool Light