Turn the chlorine generator off after salt addition?

steve_h

Bronze Supporter
Aug 9, 2007
Chesapeake, VA
I was purchasing some chemicals for the anticipated opening of the pool.
I asked the pool guy the price of salt.
The pool guy said I should turn off the chlorine generator for 24hrs after I add salt.

Has anyone else ever heard this advise?

Yes, that is standard advice. When salt is first added the salt concentration will vary wildly from one part of the pool to another. Some brands of SWG can be damaged by wildly varying salt levels, so you don't want the SWG on until the salt mixes in throughly. This is important when you have a main drain, not as important but still a good idea if you don't have a main drain.

Yup...it's in pool school

Salt

The best thing to use to raise the salt level is water softener salt. Look for salt that is 99.4% pure or better and doesn't have any rust inhibitor or other additives. The best choices include Diamond Crystal® Solar Salt Extra Coarse Crystals in blue bags, Morton® White Crystal® Water Softener Salt in blue bags, or Diamond Crystal® Sun Gems® Crystals Water Softener Salt in yellow bags.

Water softener salt pellets will also work. Pellets dissolve more slowly, but still dissolve quickly enough to be fine. Pool salt is also fine to use, though it tends to be much more expensive. Potassium chloride will also work, but you need 17% more of it and it is more expensive. Avoid table salt, rock salt, and deicing salt.

Salt can simply be dumped into the pool. Spread it around a bit with a brush so there aren't any large piles, and leave the pump running for 24 hours after adding salt. If you have a SWG, it should be turned off while you are adding salt and for the next 24 hours.

pool-school/recommended_pool_chemicals

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.