CYA Ideal ranges question

Sep 23, 2010
SC Lowcountry
Why do the NSPI and APSP set the Ideal range of CYA at 30-50, and the Pool Calculator shows 70-80 as a goal? I picked up calcium today to up my CH and decided to get 1.75lb of Stabilizer since my CYA was 45. Going by the industry standard, I didn't need to adjust my CYA. I was just curious.

Thanks

It has to do with SWG (salt systems). The ideal levels are very different with a SWG, something that NSPI and APSP have not gotten around to thinking about just yet. We recommend 30-50 when you don't have a SWG.

Another reason is that they do not officially recognize the chlorine / cyanuric acid relationship. Their chlorine level recommendations are not adjusted for the cyanuric acid level. Therefore, the higher levels of cyanuric acid would cause problems with their recommended chlorine level ranges.

Welcome to TFP!!

You don't have to adjust your cya, at this point! It's easy to add and hard to get out :wink:

The 'optimal' level depends on a number of things, including location and how much direct sunlight you get on the pool daily.

You have a SWCG so the 60-80 (I tend to ALWAYS downplay the lower end of chem levels) is required to make your salt cell have to produce less (%/ hours) and thereby increase the cell life.

I hope one of our MODs or regular posters will link the threads that cover this (if they haven't by tomorrow, I'll search them out and link them for you :cool: )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.