Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Ideal ranges question

1. Back To Top    #1

SC Lowcountry

CYA Ideal ranges question

Why do the NSPI and APSP set the Ideal range of CYA at 30-50, and the Pool Calculator shows 70-80 as a goal? I picked up calcium today to up my CH and decided to get 1.75lb of Stabilizer since my CYA was 45. Going by the industry standard, I didn't need to adjust my CYA. I was just curious.

Viking Laguna 14K IG , Smart Pure SWCG, SwimClear C5520 Cartridge Filter, TriStar 1.5HP, SmartControl PLP4 controller.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: CYA Ideal ranges question

It has to do with SWG (salt systems). The ideal levels are very different with a SWG, something that NSPI and APSP have not gotten around to thinking about just yet. We recommend 30-50 when you don't have a SWG.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Another reason is that they do not officially recognize the chlorine / cyanuric acid relationship. Their chlorine level recommendations are not adjusted for the cyanuric acid level. Therefore, the higher levels of cyanuric acid would cause problems with their recommended chlorine level ranges.

4. Back To Top    #4

Coastalish 'down easter'

Welcome to TFP!!

You don't have to adjust your cya, at this point! It's easy to add and hard to get out

The 'optimal' level depends on a number of things, including location and how much direct sunlight you get on the pool daily.

You have a SWCG so the 60-80 (I tend to ALWAYS downplay the lower end of chem levels) is required to make your salt cell have to produce less (%/ hours) and thereby increase the cell life.

I hope one of our MODs or regular posters will link the threads that cover this (if they haven't by tomorrow, I'll search them out and link them for you )
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)