Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: TFP Success Story - Thank you

  1. Back To Top    #1

    TFP Success Story - Thank you

    I've not been very active on the forums, but I've read quite a bit over the last couple years. I wanted to take a minute to share my success story and say Thank you to all contributers of this site.

    April 2009
    Long story short. We purchased a house with our first ever pool in April 2009. I had no clue what to do so I just took a water sample down to the local Pool Store. This was the begining of my aggrivation and the endless cycle of buying whatever they told me I needed which never yeilded the results promised. Well that first summer the pool was frequently cloudy and always on the edge of turning green.

    September 2009
    My wife found this forum and sent me the link.
    I read through Pool School a few times.
    Still continued down the Pool Store powder shock, 3" pucks, and whatever other water treatment junk they had to sell.

    December 2009
    Purchsed the suggested test kit.

    May 2010
    Started testing my own water and found out my biggest issue was high CYA which peaked in June around 100.
    Water is not cheap here in Tampa so draining & replacing was to going to happen overnight. Instead I went the Mother Nature route and drained the pool little by little during heavy rains.

    July 2010
    I was also stopped suplimenting the liquid chlorine with 3" pucks in the feeder. Now I just use liquid chlorine and when needed baking soda and muriatic acid.

    April 2011
    Well it took about a year, but I am happy to say I have dropped my CYA from 100+ to 50 thanks to Mother Nature and 32 inches of fresh rain water.

    My first full year of owning a pool I spent around $450 at the pool stores on chemicals and such which left me with terrible results. That's what you get when you allow others with a financial interest to guide you along the way. Well, enough was enough and in 2010 I am happy to say I spend just around $100 and our pool has never looked better!!!

    You'd think that saving $350 is the best part, but for me the best part is that I've spent less time managing my pool than I did while I was "under the control" of the pool store. Leaving more time to enjoy the pool with my family.
    10k gal, marcite, 1 HP pump, Filter: Cartridge 75 GPM, Pentair Cl Feeder 320, Hayward Navigator cleaner, TF Test Kit's TF100

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad zea3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    9,200

    Re: TFP Sucess Story - Thank you

    Thank you for posting and sharing your success! It is wonderful to hear your story! Mine was very similar as I know many others on this site came to TFP after having been frustrated by conventional "pool store" advice. Pool ownership should be about relaxing with the family not pouring all your money and time into a hole in the ground. Do you have any pictures of the pool you would like to share?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Posts
    5,061

    Re: TFP Success Story - Thank you

    Congratulations!

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Re: TFP Success Story - Thank you

    I am also making use of the iPhone app!
    10k gal, marcite, 1 HP pump, Filter: Cartridge 75 GPM, Pentair Cl Feeder 320, Hayward Navigator cleaner, TF Test Kit's TF100

  5. Back To Top    #5

    In the Industry

    duraleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    Posts
    30,084

    Re: TFP Success Story - Thank you

    Nice post, ssanders. It is always rewarding to everyone on the forum when they can read how you took the info provided here and became Manager-in Chief of your pool. Nice work!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

  6. Back To Top    #6
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    10,045

    Re: TFP Success Story - Thank you

    Another great TFP success story!

    It is a really good feeling when we take control of our pools!

    Thanks for sharing.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

    ~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    173

    Re: TFP Success Story - Thank you

    Quote Originally Posted by ssanders79
    I am also making use of the iPhone app!
    What does this iphone app do?
    Completed: June 2011
    18' X 38' IG Vinyl, 3' - 8' depth ~ 24K gallons
    2 skimmers, 2 wall suctions, 3 returns, 1.5" piping

    Hayward Equipment: 1HP Tri-star 2-speed, Aqua-Plus SWG,
    Star-Clear Plus 175 sqft cartridge filter, Colorlogic 4.0 LED

    The Pool Cleaner 4X(suction)
    2011 Jacuzzi J-280 Hot tub

  8. Back To Top    #8
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: TFP Success Story - Thank you

    Quote Originally Posted by mx702
    Quote Originally Posted by ssanders79
    I am also making use of the iPhone app!
    What does this iphone app do?
    Math.

    It enables you to bring this pagepoolside, on your phone.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Re: TFP Success Story - Thank you

    Update January 2011
    My efforts to drop my CYA have been effective, a little too effective. Now when I test my CYA I can fill the tube with all the solution and still see the black dot at the bottom. So my CYA is <20.

    I read a few threads regarding CYA, but I cannot find one specifically asking for advice on managing the addition of CYA. If it can take a week to register the addition should I plan for a couple week of managed dosing? I see there are different methods to use to raise CYA, what would be considered a best practice?

    Realistically, I would like to try to get a CYA reading around 30 (I think). I do get sun, but not all day full sun depending on the time of year I would estimate direct sunlight from 9:30-4PM.
    10k gal, marcite, 1 HP pump, Filter: Cartridge 75 GPM, Pentair Cl Feeder 320, Hayward Navigator cleaner, TF Test Kit's TF100

  10. Back To Top    #10

    In the Industry

    duraleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    Posts
    30,084

    Re: TFP Success Story - Thank you

    I do get sun, but not all day full sun depending on the time of year I would estimate direct sunlight from 9:30-4PM.
    30 is not a bad number....40 might be somewhat more useful and, in Florida with your pool, that would be my suggested target.

    I REALLY like the Pool Calculator and using regular CYA additive to calculate the dosage to get to your target. Do the math carefully, put it in the skimmer and then forget it for 5-7 days....then test.

    The only disadvantage to that method is if you have the need to backwash during that 7 day period and I wouldn't think that would be an issue this time of the year.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

  11. Back To Top    #11
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: TFP Success Story - Thank you

    Quote Originally Posted by ssanders79
    Update January 2011
    My efforts to drop my CYA have been effective, a little too effective. Now when I test my CYA I can fill the tube with all the solution and still see the black dot at the bottom. So my CYA is <20.

    I read a few threads regarding CYA, but I cannot find one specifically asking for advice on managing the addition of CYA. If it can take a week to register the addition should I plan for a couple week of managed dosing? I see there are different methods to use to raise CYA, what would be considered a best practice?

    Realistically, I would like to try to get a CYA reading around 30 (I think). I do get sun, but not all day full sun depending on the time of year I would estimate direct sunlight from 9:30-4PM.
    If you're in a hurry, buy the CYA as a stand alone product. The liquid just gets poured in. The granules should get put in a sock and hung in front of a return. The Pool Calculator can tell you the amount needed.

    If you're not in a hurry, use trichlor in a floater. After you have your volume entered, down near the bottom of the page, there's a box that shows the effects of adding chemicals. Plug in 8 oz of Trichlor, it will tell you how many PPM FC and CYA it will add. If it says 1.25, for instance, and you want to add 10 PPM CYA, 8 pucks would do it. You just can't add them all at once.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  12. Back To Top    #12
    Puffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Metro Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    217

    Re: TFP Success Story - Thank you

    When you tested the CYA, what was the water temp? Cold water (under 70 degrees) can throw off the results.

    See the CYA section in the Extended Test Kit thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/exten...ns-t25081.html
    19,600 gal, Vinyl, Grecian L, StaRite Dura-Glas 1 HP pump, 3/4hp booster, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge filter
    The Pool Cleaner 4x, PoolSkim

  13. Back To Top    #13

    Re: TFP Success Story - Thank you

    Thanks for the quick replies.
    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    The only disadvantage to that method is if you have the need to backwash during that 7 day period and I wouldn't think that would be an issue this time of the year.
    Thanks for the tip, but I just have a filter so this will not be an issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    If you're in a hurry, buy the CYA as a stand alone product. The liquid just gets poured in. The granules should get put in a sock and hung in front of a return. The Pool Calculator can tell you the amount needed.
    If you're not in a hurry, use trichlor in a floater. After you have your volume entered, down near the bottom of the page, there's a box that shows the effects of adding chemicals. Plug in 8 oz of Trichlor, it will tell you how many PPM FC and CYA it will add. If it says 1.25, for instance, and you want to add 10 PPM CYA, 8 pucks would do it. You just can't add them all at once.
    I am not really in a hurry. This time of the year the water is too cold to swim, but I still try to keep it looking good. Too bad I sold my old bucket of pucks on Craigslist. Would it matter if I put them in a floater or would the inline feeder work just the same?

    Quote Originally Posted by Puffin
    When you tested the CYA, what was the water temp? Cold water (under 70 degrees) can throw off the results.
    See the CYA section in the Extended Test Kit thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/exten...ns-t25081.html
    The water is 58, but I did do a test back in Nov when the water was still in the mid 70's with the same result.
    10k gal, marcite, 1 HP pump, Filter: Cartridge 75 GPM, Pentair Cl Feeder 320, Hayward Navigator cleaner, TF Test Kit's TF100

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •