Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help on calculating gallons that our pool has

1. Back To Top    #1

Help on calculating gallons that our pool has

Noticed that profile signatures around here show total gallons in their pool. How can I calculate that for our pool?

Our pool is mostly rectangular, but has a spa above pool level in a corner (waterfalling into pool from spa). In the opposite corner, is a step into the deep end of our pool, and this corner is "cut off" from the rectangle.

I would probably just begin with this formula:

Length x width x ( ( depth of deep end + depth of shallow end) / 2)
    To give me volume of our pool in cubic feet. Just need this converted to gallons. Would this suffice, or should my calculation be more precise for that when I share this information to local pool supply stores, this forum, etc?

Thanks in advance!
    Florida-style enclosure (lanai) housing 18,000-gallon outdoor in-ground salt pool/spa, PeebleTec finish. Spa water waterfalls into pool. Hayward model 17502 cartridge filter system, Hayward SP3400VSP EcoStar Variable-Speed Pool Pump. One skimmer, Baracuda Zodiac MX-8 cleaner. Palm Harbor, Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help on calculating gallons that our pool has

adding photos for clarity to what I am referring to
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Florida-style enclosure (lanai) housing 18,000-gallon outdoor in-ground salt pool/spa, PeebleTec finish. Spa water waterfalls into pool. Hayward model 17502 cartridge filter system, Hayward SP3400VSP EcoStar Variable-Speed Pool Pump. One skimmer, Baracuda Zodiac MX-8 cleaner. Palm Harbor, Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Have you seen the gallons calculator in the pool calculator in pool school?

And you gotta allow for how much that gator drinks in a day too!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes - the link was down previously - now it's back up.

Our pool is 13.5 x 30, and depth is an estimate (3 feet shallow end, 8 feet deep end, to make average depth about 5.5), it came out 16,700 gallons. However, our local store has a history on our pool from previous house owners and it is shown as 20,000, so I'm not sure if that is an estimation as well. There is a 2,300 gallon difference here - is 2,300 gallon difference significant when discussing what chemicals to buy for our pool maintenance needs?

I guess that gator drinks 2,300 gallons, lol.

5. Back To Top    #5

There's about a 1500 gallon difference from what the pool calc says mine is vs. what the manufacturer says. Split the difference and treat for that-should give you a real good idea on the FC test. Got a TF-100?
    Those "local store" numbers are probably the worst ones.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

I ran the numbers with the calc to get close, then treated according to the pool calculator. I adjusted the gallons for the pool until it matched what I was feeding the pool in chlorine. Probably more accurate than using the measurements!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    I ran the numbers with the calc to get close, then treated according to the pool calculator. I adjusted the gallons for the pool until it matched what I was feeding the pool in chlorine. Probably more accurate than using the measurements!
    Sounds like something I want to do, but I'm not really following - can you expand a bit about this methodology? Thanks in advance

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by cflannagan
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    Sounds like something I want to do, but I'm not really following - can you expand a bit about this methodology? Thanks in advance
    The idea here is that adding a known amount of a chemical will have a predictable effect on your test measurements. For example, if you add 1 gallon of 5.5% bleach to a 10,000 gallon pool, your FC will increase by 5.5ppm (until it gets eaten by sunlight or algae). Assuming you have a clean pool and you do this in the evening, if you have to add 1.5 gallons to get a 5.5ppm increase, then you must have 1.5 x 10,000 = 15,000 gallons in the pool.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page