Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy borax

1. Back To Top    #1

Where to buy borax

Went to buy borax at the local Wally world and was told they no longer stock it. It was too expensive at the local grocery store. So if anyone is interested I found the 76oz boxes at buy.com for $4.29 no tax with free shipping. The fed ex guy is going to be ******.
    14.5 K inground vinyl
    1hp pump
    sand filter
    Taylor K-2006
    Aquarite SWG
    P'cola FL

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where to buy borax

I bought 8 boxes at the Target in my neighborhood yesterday. They were $3.00 a box. Went in the pool this morning and it's looking better already!

Good luck.

3. Back To Top    #3

That's great. They were over 4 at my target and they didn't have enough
    14.5 K inground vinyl
    1hp pump
    sand filter
    Taylor K-2006
    Aquarite SWG
    P'cola FL

4. Back To Top    #4

I've seen borax many different places, but few seem to keep it in stock consistently. In addition to WalMart, Target, K-Mart, and some of the big box hardware stores, try a few of the largest grocery stores in you area.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I'll back up Target. Got some for $3.29 the other day. You may also want to check the dollar stores. I think Family Dollar carries it.
    Clearwater, Florida

12,000 gallon kidney shaped gunite pool
    Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP Pump
    Pentair CCP420 420sq/ft Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Intellibrite 5G 120V Pool Light

6. Back To Top    #6

Publix grocery stores seem to be good about carrying it.
    33,000 gallon in-ground L-shaped, vinyl liner, Heyward sand filter, Polaris 280, TF-100
    Northeast Georgia

7. Back To Top    #7

I saw this Boric Acid on Ebay the other day. Can anyone comment on its suitability? Other wise on mainland Europe I have no idea where to by it....

BORIC ACID

This ia 25Kg pack of pure Ortho Boric Acid

Packed in a heavy dury plastic bag/scak and shipped in sturdy double wall outer box and labelled with appropriate CHIPS III Label

All products are packd in sturdy outer boxes to ensure safe arrival

PRODUCT SPECIFICATION TECHNICAL

Boric Acid % H3BO3: 99.5 min

Boric Oxide % B2O3: 56.0 min

Impurities

Sulphate ppm SO4: 600ppm max

Chloride ppm Cl: 500ppm max

Iron Oxide ppm Fe2O3: 4ppm max

Thanks,

Jonathan
    IG Concrete, tiles and plaster. Pool size: 100M3 (26,417 US Gallons) Sand/Gravel Filter Astor 99 cross section 0.44M2 (4.74 sq. ft.) holds 290 kg (639 lbs) sand/gravel also sometimes with some DE inside. Pacific Sel SWG, Pacific PH Automatic Doser.
    Pump size 1.6HP 24M3/hour (6340 US gal/hour)

8. Back To Top    #8

It's fine to use. A good quality boric acid.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathanm
    PRODUCT SPECIFICATION TECHNICAL

Boric Acid % H3BO3: 99.5 min

Boric Oxide % B2O3: 56.0 min
    How is there 99.5 % boric acid and 56 % boric oxide?

10. Back To Top    #10

It's really a synonym of sorts since boric oxide (aka boron trioxide) is an anhydrous form of boric acid:

H3BO3 --> HBO2 + H2O
    2HBO2 --> B2O3 + H2O

The molecular weight of B2O3 is 69.6182 g/mole (note the two borons) while boric acid is 61.83 g/mole. So 99.5% * (69.6182/2)/61.83 = 56.0%.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    It's fine to use. A good quality boric acid.

Thanks for your help - I'll go ahead and get some - I tried several sources in France - ridiculously expensive... It's for sale here in most pharmacies in 30gram sachets - and the chemist told me that its mostly used for killing cockroaches...
    IG Concrete, tiles and plaster. Pool size: 100M3 (26,417 US Gallons) Sand/Gravel Filter Astor 99 cross section 0.44M2 (4.74 sq. ft.) holds 290 kg (639 lbs) sand/gravel also sometimes with some DE inside. Pacific Sel SWG, Pacific PH Automatic Doser.
    Pump size 1.6HP 24M3/hour (6340 US gal/hour)

12. Back To Top    #12

Local Walmart has it for $2.97 box. If you go to customer service they will special order or pull the amount you need. I'll need 14 boxes. Stopped in Saturday, they called Monday they have them. Just got to ask.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathanm
    ... and the chemist told me that its mostly used for killing cockroaches...
    In concentrated form, yes, and you can learn more about why in diluted form it's not a problem for humans, but is for insects in this video. You can read more about borates safety in this thread. The chemist also could have told you that Boric acid is often used in eye wash solutions at around 1% (1750 ppm Boron). For pools and spas, we use only 50 ppm.

14. Back To Top    #14

Home Depot carries it (or at least a year ago they did). I actually had a guy stop me to ask why I was buying 8 boxes of it
    9000 Gallon Gunite Pool
    Pentair 1/2 HP Whisperflo Pump
    Pentair DE Filter
    Kreepy Krauly

15. Back To Top    #15

I know this is an old post, but this is the one that is most prevalent in a google search, so I thought I would share my findings here.. 50 lbs of borax for $30.00 Best deal I've been able to find, they shipped the day after I ordered... Shipping was like $13.00 bucks, but still cheaper than I was getting it. Link Below:

Borax | Bulk Apothecary

16. Back To Top    #16

Where to buy borax

I bought mine from dudadiesel. Bought the boric acid granules so it did not affect my pH. Very clean looking product quick shipping I thought very reasonably priced.
    DudaDiesel - Biodiesel, Chemical & Solar Supplies, Alternative Energy Store

~14K gallon - AquaRite AQR15 SWG - pool Newly plastered on April 9 2016
    TF100 kit - STA-RITE SYSTEM3 Modular Media Filtration - Model S8M150
    Pool water supply from on site water well = CH of ~350 and TA of ~350
    Doheny's Discovery Automatic Robotic Cleaner/Pentair Model 011018 VS Pump
    Sundance Altamar Hot tub separate from pool / central Oklahoma

17. Back To Top    #17

Does the math on boric acid granulates work the same as with borax?
    Inground fiberglass uncovered 10125 gallon Salt water pool with Semi attached jacuzzi
    aqua rite control system, DE filter, Zodiac Baracuda g2, well water.

18. Back To Top    #18

Where to buy borax

On pool math there is an option to choose granules.

~14K gallon - AquaRite AQR15 SWG - pool Newly plastered on April 9 2016
    TF100 kit - STA-RITE SYSTEM3 Modular Media Filtration - Model S8M150
    Pool water supply from on site water well = CH of ~350 and TA of ~350
    Doheny's Discovery Automatic Robotic Cleaner/Pentair Model 011018 VS Pump
    Sundance Altamar Hot tub separate from pool / central Oklahoma

19. Back To Top    #19

Thank you!
    I didn't notice that option ��
    Inground fiberglass uncovered 10125 gallon Salt water pool with Semi attached jacuzzi
    aqua rite control system, DE filter, Zodiac Baracuda g2, well water.

20. Back To Top    #20

Boric acid works the same as Borax/MA for adding borates to pool water BUT boric acid is much, much easier to work with and well worth any cost differential. Borax is a strong(ish) base and will raise pH dramatically upon addition. This is why you must add muriatic acid to compensate. Eventually you balance the two but, in the process you create both borate ions in water and lots of excess salt. Boric acid, by contrast, is a weak acid and even with the full 50ppm addition (~40+ lbs for a typical pool volume), the pH will only go down by around 0.3 units. Boric acid also dissolves very rapidly in water and will not cause calcium scale or water cloudiness as borax will.

You can do the calculations on Pool Math but, roughly speaking, adding the full measure of borates using boric acid lowers the pH by 0.3 units. Adding 1/10 th the amount of borax needed to get to 50ppm raises the pH by nearly 0.9 units and thus requires MA to knock it back down. So, you can add all of the boric acid at once OR you can add the borax in 10 batches with MA additions in between.

By far, the boric acid method is a lot easier...
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast