Fiberglass pool how much gravel?

My PB recommends a gravel base but the side fill is excavated soil. I am in NC soil is not clay. He can use gravel side fill but it will mean 2-3 loads of gravel at a cost that I seem to remember around 1k. He has been doing these pools in this area for 17 years and provided a response to my question to Trilogy stating that this method is fine. Thoughts?

You MUST use either washed in sand or the smallest gravel available. The gently washed in sand and gravel will settle the least, ensuring the walls are provided the support they need. Fill the pool and back fill at the same time, never letting there be more than a foot of difference in height between the two. To do otherwise will result in warped walls, cracks in the gel, or worse.

The use of spoils (dug out dirt) as back fill will not prevent warped walls and will settle unevenly, resulting in lost support under the concrete apron around the pool.

That the installer is even suggesting that tells me he needs to be watched like a hawk.

Ensure the shell is FULLY supported on the ground and level to within 1/4" all the way around before adding water.

Scott

Winger 03 said:
Though sometimes controversial, Marcus had a pretty informative blog.

Here is an entry on backfilling ..... http://www.riverpoolsandspas.com/blog/b ... mming-Pool

Thanks for the link. I had read this a while ago but I couldn't remember what he advised. Now I'm really bummed. The last thing that I need is to spend $$$ on a fiberglass pool and have it crack due to poor install. The warranty of the pool is worthless because it excludes settling and if a crack develops due to manufacturing defect they won't warrant it for merchantability. In other words they don't guarantee that the pool will work as a pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.