Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fiberglass pool how much gravel?

1. Back To Top    #1

Fiberglass pool how much gravel?

My PB recommends a gravel base but the side fill is excavated soil. I am in NC soil is not clay. He can use gravel side fill but it will mean 2-3 loads of gravel at a cost that I seem to remember around 1k. He has been doing these pools in this area for 17 years and provided a response to my question to Trilogy stating that this method is fine. Thoughts?
    Plaster pool inground 22,000 gallons with spa. Pentair Intelliflo, IC40 salt generator, WiFi control/Easy Touch.
    Hayward 1.5 HP pump on 750 gallon spa. Sand filters. Auto chlorinator on spa. Auto water level. Dolphin M500. TF100 XL with Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fiberglass pool how much gravel?

You MUST use either washed in sand or the smallest gravel available. The gently washed in sand and gravel will settle the least, ensuring the walls are provided the support they need. Fill the pool and back fill at the same time, never letting there be more than a foot of difference in height between the two. To do otherwise will result in warped walls, cracks in the gel, or worse.

The use of spoils (dug out dirt) as back fill will not prevent warped walls and will settle unevenly, resulting in lost support under the concrete apron around the pool.

That the installer is even suggesting that tells me he needs to be watched like a hawk.

Ensure the shell is FULLY supported on the ground and level to within 1/4" all the way around before adding water.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

and provided a response to my question to Trilogy stating that this method is fine.
    What does that mean....I don't understand.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Trilogy makes fiberglass pools. I assume he called the manfacturer, Trilogy.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Though sometimes controversial, Marcus had a pretty informative blog.

Here is an entry on backfilling ..... http://www.riverpoolsandspas.com/blog/b ... mming-Pool
    Jim

Southern Frederick County, MD - Leisure Moroccan 38 Fiberglass Pool - 19,800 gallons
    Pentair 1.5 hp 2 speed pump - Cartridge filter - Dolphin robot - TF-100 Test Kit - SWCG

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Winger 03
    Though sometimes controversial, Marcus had a pretty informative blog.

Here is an entry on backfilling ..... http://www.riverpoolsandspas.com/blog/b ... mming-Pool
    Thanks for the link. I had read this a while ago but I couldn't remember what he advised. Now I'm really bummed. The last thing that I need is to spend $$$ on a fiberglass pool and have it crack due to poor install. The warranty of the pool is worthless because it excludes settling and if a crack develops due to manufacturing defect they won't warrant it for merchantability. In other words they don't guarantee that the pool will work as a pool.
    Plaster pool inground 22,000 gallons with spa. Pentair Intelliflo, IC40 salt generator, WiFi control/Easy Touch.
    Hayward 1.5 HP pump on 750 gallon spa. Sand filters. Auto chlorinator on spa. Auto water level. Dolphin M500. TF100 XL with Speed Stir