Help needed now!

Oct 25, 2010
Temecula, CA
What is the best way to get water out of a pool? Is there a way to use the pump to pump out the water - I'm thinking backwash but my filter is all taken apart for cleaning.

Basically my DH decided to move the piping for our equipment today but since the pipe from the pool to the pump is lower than the current level of the pool, the water is leaking out into the hole that we dug to fix our rain drains (not associated with the pool but part of the pool project).

We want to divert that water coming out and/or pump it out behind the house.

Any immediate help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Anne

p.s. There is a tap attached to a hose coming out of the pump but I have never used this feature. DH thinks this would probably pull the water out if he attached a hose to it and ran the pump. BUT, the filter is open and apart - would this be an issue?

Plug the pipe :) (the one coming into the pump)

I'm assuming you want to drain the pool because the trench is flooding.

We can either deal with how to make a 'wet' connection later or, you'll have run almost all of the pipe and can let the trench flood and drain before making the last connections. The optimal solution would be to plug the line in the pool, but it's probably a MD and getting down there to plug it might be more hassle than it's worth.

Ted, thanks. He was able to stop the flow and I took a photo of the setup. He thinks he can attach a hose to the tap and open the tap to let the water out. Yours is a better option, since then we wouldn't have to pay to fill it up later but c'est la vie. We like to learn the hard way in our family. lol

Well, I was wrong, we don't know how to get the water out using that tap I showed in the previous photo.

I'm thinking siphon is the only option? If we run the pump, fill up the filter and then backwash it out, would that work? Or would it eventually start straining the pump since there won't be enough water in it?

Not sure what an MD is?

Hey there :wave:

MD is a Main Drain (a/k/a bottom or floor drain/ suction)

Since you only have one pipe coming into the filter plug the skimmer to stop the water (if you have a MD, it's probably plumbed into the skimmer body - the other port).

Sorry this is incomplete, but I just found out we've got company coming :| I'll fill it in more for you , if you need me to and answer your PM in a few hours :)

Ted, water is still coming out of the pipe to the pump even though we have plugged the skimmer. :( We have plugged the ends of the pipes from the filter and the pump for now. DH knows plumbing but does not know pools and I don't know enough to help him. It seems the water is coming from somewhere else? Anyhow, if you can think of where else the water may be coming from, that would be a huge help. It must be the MD but if that's the case, we are stuck doing wet connections for the whole thing - DH doesn't feel comfortable leaving it that way, although he will - once we move the equipment, we will leave the trenches open and look for leaks. We were prefer sealing off the pipes if at all possible. Anyhow, it's been a good experience, not sure what will happen in the end....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.