Thinking of Converting to SWG

tharry8

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 1, 2011
Katy, TX
I am thinking of converting to SWG. For all you folks who have swg pool, knowing what you now know, what brand and size should I consider? I will do the installation myself. If you need more information, please ask.

Here are the specs on my pool:
23,000 gallon pool
630 gallon hot tub that overflows into pool (so pool and hot tub use same water)
25 miles west of Houston, Texas (pool gets direct sun)
plaster pool
Nat Gas Heater
DE Filter
Pool is probably 20 years old (moved in 2 years ago).
50 ppm borate

Thanks,
Todd

Make sure your pool doesn't have any leaks of course. They're all good, whether it's Jandy, Goldline, Pentair, etc.

I'm partial to Pentair stuff myself. I like the Easy Touch/Intellichlor Salt systems. I like the interface and i've had less problems between cleaning the cells than AquaPures and T-Cells.

But whatever brand you can get a good deal on, go for it.

A single cell install should fit the bill for the size of your pool.

A larger cell system will be beneficial over time. It's sort of like selecting a filter for a pool in the fact that the larger it is, the more efficiency you will get out of it. Larger cells don't have to work as hard as smaller cells to generate a given amount of chlorine. Because of this, they typically last longer and use less energy. Others will add, but an Intellichlor IC-40 would be a good one IMO.

Ninja and Mag - Thanks!

What I am looking for is lessons learned. If you knew now, what you didn't know then, what would you do?
Some food for thought...
- Would you have spent more or less
- What features you wish you had
- What features you do not use
- I got brand A but wish I had gotten brand B
- If I had it to do over again...

Thanks,
Todd

I have a pool almost identical to yours in The Woodlands. I installed the Goldline with largest cell I could find. My cell runs around 30% with an 8-10 hour pump time most of the time. I have been happy with it.
I bought the PS8 which has enough relays for my needs.

I Did install a wired spa side remote which is very nice. I did not put a control panel inside the house because what's the point of a nice automated system if you have to mess with it all the time.

A peristaltic acid feeder might be nice, but for now I'm ok dumping in acid once a week.

My outdoor temp sensor is near the heater vent so reads high when heater runs.
My poolwater temp sensor is in the pump plumbing like most installs so it only reads accurately after a few minutes of water flow. I wish I had a separate PVC line back to the pool so I could have a true full time temp measurement, but not a big deal.

I would choose a brand which you anticipate will be around to sell you replacement cells over the next 10-20 years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.