Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aluminum Coping vs Cantilever Concrete

1. Back To Top    #1

Aluminum Coping vs Cantilever Concrete

Our IG vinyl pool will be started in a couple weeks. We are trying to decide between using the standard aluminum coping or having the concrete deck poured with a cantilever around the pool.

I know the difference in terms of aestetics but my question is in terms of longevity. Which will last longer and be less likely to cause us problems in the future?

I think I'm just nervous about the cantilever because you see so many problems come up relating to these decks while it seems like you don't see that many issues when you just stick with the aluminum coping.

This is the coping the builder is planning on using http://coping.cinderellainc.com/capstone_cp5.asp

I think it looks better than the bullnose personally.
    18 x 36 IG Vinyl Liner 28K Gallons
    Pentair Intelliflo VS+SVRS, Pentair CC + 420 Cartridge Filter, Easytouch CP with IC40 SWG
    2" Suction and Return Lines - 2 skimmers, 6 returns
    Dolphin Diagnostic Advantage Robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aluminum Coping vs Cantilever Concrete

Quote Originally Posted by briansturgeon

I think I'm just nervous about the cantilever because you see so many problems come up relating to these decks while it seems like you don't see that many issues when you just stick with the aluminum coping.
    I'm not really sure thats true. Cantilever coping is no more problematic, imo.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

I guess it just seems like you read a lot of things about cracking in the concrete or flaking off. Also it seems as if there are a lot of complaints on how it is finished once the forms are removed.
    Pentair Intelliflo VS+SVRS, Pentair CC + 420 Cartridge Filter, Easytouch CP with IC40 SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

The appearance with concrete varies and isn't always what people expect, but concrete is generally quite reliable in terms of function.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

On the other hand, we see posts every year asking how to freshen up the look of old, loose, flaky, etc. aluminum coping. If it were me, I'd get the concrete.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

6. Back To Top    #6

Just seems like the complaint seen most on aluminum is about needing to paint it which is an easy fix vs when there are concrete issues you are looking at tearout sometimes. We are considering a stamped or at least colored cantilever border around the pool and doing the rest in brushed concrete. If we do cantilever it will be stamped border probably.

7. Back To Top    #7

You could opt for PVC coping as well...no painting needed. IMO FWIW I like the cantilevered look... though I'd take either
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator