Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool / Pressure increases with cleaned filter

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool / Pressure increases with cleaned filter

New house, new pool. Cleaned the sta-rite cartridge cylindrical filter yesterday and noticed the pressure increased. The previous home owner also warned me of this and states he cleans the filter according to the pressure drop. Does this mean the filter assembly is plumbed backwards?

The pool seems to be working great with good pressure from the return nozzles and very clear water.
    25,000 gal diving pool
    Cartridge Filter

Phoenix, AZ

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool / Pressure increases with cleaned filter

Sounds funny to me. You cleaned the filter, and the pressure went up, and it goes down with time? I don't think your filter is plumbed backwards; if it was, you would know it. It would inflate the cart like a balloon.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree and would think there would be no flow. The psi was at about 13 before cleaning and 18 after, very similar to what the previous homeowner stated (10yrs in the house). Maybe something backwards in the pressure gauge.
    25,000 gal diving pool
    Cartridge Filter

Phoenix, AZ

4. Back To Top    #4

Is the pressure gauge mounted on the filter? Or is it mounted before the pump?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Pressure guage is on the top of the filter housing
    25,000 gal diving pool
    Cartridge Filter

Phoenix, AZ

6. Back To Top    #6

Then I agree with Melt In The Sun, it sounds like the gauge is broken.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School