Intex pool inground??

I don't think you can actually bury it in the traditional sense. The sidewalls are soft so they wouldn't stand the dirt against them but you could set it in a hole if you left a gap between the pool and the earth.

We haven't finished. BUT we originally planned to at most put the pool 2 feet down. Then my husband decides that's not far enough. Because the walls are different than other pools we dug a bigger hole and we're putting retaining wall in to hold the dirt about 18"-24" from the edge of the pool.
[attachment=0:1mktture]pool in hole.jpg[/attachment:1mktture]
We are planning on putting in more deck posts this weekend, some deadmen attached to the plywood, and filling back in some dirt. It's going to be high 90's so it'll be great to take a break in the pool.

Attachments

• pool in hole.jpg
    pool in hole.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 1,758
We are in the first (planning) stages of our build as well. Line locates are being done next week, and hope to break ground by the following week. We purchased a 12x24x52" ultra frame (to replace our 15' x 48") and our plan is to dig out a 16 by 28 area for the pool at approx. 40" deep, to allow for a 2 foot span around the perimeter of our pool as well. We have the plans laid out for our ground level deck build which will be built 20 feet across (8 feet wide) at one end and wrap around the corners to run 6 feet (and extend out 6') up the sides. Our biggest dilemma at this point is what we will use for our retaining wall. With the cost of our deck and fence project rising at a fairly rapid rate, my preferred choice of stack stone is just not a feasible option for us for this year. I have concerns with trenching to allow for "deadmen" for a 4x4 timber wall, as I am worried about how disturbing the hard packed soil will impact the integrity of the ground on which our deck will be built. Knowing that regardless of what method/ materials we use, proper drainage will be the key to its success. It's looking like this year we will use 7 foot metal punched t-posts pounded 3 and 1/2 feet down every 3 feet of run fastened to support stacked 2'x8"x12's (6 high). To avoid safety issues over having someone venturing too near the edge and falling into the trench, we plan to build a raised flower bed with landscaping timbers along the top around the perimeter. Will try to post pics as work progresses. Would love to hear ideas and see pics from anyone who has successfully pulled off a project such as this.

How's it going. All done?

Was really hoping to hear more from tridoc927 about their build before we embarked on ours, but sadly we had to go it alone and hope for the best. We finished our retaining wall on Saturday, and I couldn't be happier (although once framed it was about a foot narrower in width and about 2 feet shorter in length that what we had hoped) Our retaining wall is 42" in height, and finished size is 16 by 25.5'. We also added an approx. 4x5 foot area (offset) to allow for our equipment as well. We used treated 2x10's attached to 4x4 posts set in concrete. We allowed for a 3 foot staircase to give us access to our "trench". We will be constructing the deck this weekend. It will be a ground level (u-shaped) deck which stretches (24 feet long and 8' deep) along one end of the pool and wraps around the corner(s) extending 6 feet out and 6 feet along the running length of each side. P5170033.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh boy I'm sorry we ended up getting stalled. My parents live across the street and my mom was ill first then my dad passed away Sept. 9th just eight days before his 98th birthday. So we have just started up again. The pool was so neglected at the end of the year that I didn't even winterize it or anything! I was sure all our work was in vain and we'd have to buy a new pool or something. HOWEVER, this weekend filling dirt back in the walls were definitely sloping in from the heavy clay especially when my husband was on top of it with the ditch-witch. Up until that the pool actually survived the winter. Not sure about the pump or SWG yet. Tomorrow I plan to clean them and set them back up and see what we got.

I think your retaining walls are much better than ours. We used plywood and we now think we should have put 45 degree braces to help support the retaining walls. My husband has plans for how to remedy this but we've done so much digging of this heavy clay back out that wow I'm wiped out. OH and I can't stress enough that you did the right thing to build the retaining walls first. We put the pool up then the walls. Not easy to get around at all.

YRUcQujXBuc9WbNUNtc-HiXT3H6CipjRUgyEXV6kqtnp=w675-h506-no

So hopefully tomorrow will bring clarity for Pat and less digging for both of us. We did get the ditch witch out but not before the wall on that side fell in hit pool and caused tips by both the outflow and inflow. Well I wanted to put in a wide-mouth skimmer anyway... ugh. Hoping to find one in pool store. Then I have to figure out how to install if possible without getting in the pool in it's current swamp state. So I have all kinds of ideas now on how NOT to do this project if anyone can learn from our mistakes more power to you!

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry meant rips not tips. And tomorrow in the light of day I'll take pictures and be open to suggestions. Just wondering when people replace their skimmers do they ever put them in different place? Of course if I do that I have to somehow patch these rips and also figure out how to keep those holes plugged well (better I'd assume than the nozzle and plunger set up allow?

- - - Updated - - -

So did you put deadmen in? Have you filled the dirt in yet?

Sorry to hear about your father :(

We got stalled also. With family issues and life... Sigh

But we are back at it, first things first we had to complete our fence, which is almost done! dh figures his coworker with the digging machine (mini excavator) to dig out hole for our pool is coming next weekend! Fingers crossed! I think once the hole is actually dug it will feel more real

After hole is dug, plan is to use plywood around perimeter but we are not backfilling, just using the space between to place the deck footings that are closest to pool edge, if that makes sense?

We also decided we are adding a small pergola at one side to give some privacy from our nosy neighbours. Lol!

Keep adding pics guys, it is inspiring me!!

FYI, we exchanged our 12 x 24 for the smaller 9 x 18 to allow more deck space and the pergola. Kinda bummed that we have smaller pool, but it will be better in the long run to have more space around the pool for lounge chairs, BBQ, toys, slide, fire out etc... I want it ALL! Lol

Kathy

Finally starting to feel like we are making progress and that all of our hard work is going to pay off. Pool is filling as I type this...so far so good :) Bought Hubby a palm tree and thatch umbrella for his Birthday yesterday, so it's already starting to feel like our own little oasis. Once the pool is full, then we will finish laying the deck boards on the deck, and hopefully will see the pool guy out to hard plumb the pump, filter and heater by early next week, and then finally the electrician can come to hard wire the heater and make his final connections. Getting a lot of rain over the next few days, so hopefully we can keep on schedule.

20141109_162151.jpg

Close up of the pool deck after I cleaned out the clay.

20150606_090705.jpg

This year we finally got our pool up before June. We never got it up before even July prior years. But haven't been able to swim much due to thunderstorms almost daily in the evening. Next projects are to landscape yard and build deck off second floor of house.

@K9 Protected
Well I tried and I'm getting error message about exceeding my quota? Let's see if URL link works.
20130721_140307.jpg

Hardest part of this project? When it started raining and getting that heavy ditch witch back up the slippery slope and out of the hole.

To give you an idea of how big the hole was here's a picture of the side.
20130710_201921.jpg

Here's a link to my blog about our many house projects. I will say that the pool project took a long time mainly due to a lot of rain the past 2 or 3 springs.
Renovate My Ranch: The Pool Saga Continues

I should make a blog post documenting start to finish, the reason I didn't is we did a little bit every year.
2012: Buy pool but is on back order and doesn't arrive until August 1st. That first year, we leveled back yard and put up pool but yard pretty small and didn't like the way it took up so much of the view.
2013: So next year dug a hole. Rained so much that we put pool in hole but ran out of time to finish deck on top. But we built retaining wall to keep dirt back. Pool wasn't up until end of July-first of August after several > 100 degree days. We finally have it up and rains more that August than usual.
2014: Last year had to re-do one side when husband was leveling around pool and ditch-witch too heavy for one side and caved in retaining wall! Wow that was a mess. But fixed it and he built deck over it last summer.
2015: This year working on the rest of the yard but pool has worked great.

@ariel68 or @kshuf
Did you do it? Any pics? August has been a hot one and we've been enjoying the pool quite a bit. Haven't done much in the way of landscaping again because it rained all May and June. We're having the local electric company come out and trench and bury lines that currently run from a post to the house before we can go forward with landscaping and building the deck off house.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.