Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can algae affect a salinity reading ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can algae affect a salinity reading ?

HI all, I recently went through a round of algae, during which my salt cell salinty read 3300-3400 ppm, while in reality it was 2200-2400 ppm.

Now, that the algae has cleared my cell is reading now 2600 ppm, could the algae have caused that ?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Can algae affect a salinity reading ?

Nope. No relationship. Actually, it would be helpful if it did since there is currently no test to detect for algae!!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Be sure to get an independent test of the water's salinity before adding salt. The system may not always be accurate on the salinity level due to a problem in the board or cell. Generally, the display should be accurate +/- 400ppm, but may need calibrated based on the results of your independent test.
    APSP CST Certified
    17k inground concrete; 1.5hp 2 speed Tristar pump, 300sq.ft. Cartridge filter, AquaLogic PS-4 w/ Tcell-15, Navigator suction cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

Dave may need to chime in here but I think that there is an indirect relationship between algae in the water and increased conductivity which is what the salt cell is detecting. I might be wrong but I think that during the oxidation of algae some of the by products are ions which in effect increase the conductivity of the water. Since the water conductivity is increasing during this process I believe the higher salt reading of the SWG could be the ions present during oxidation. Again an expert would have to chime in here I could be out to lunch.
    Carlos
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger987
    Be sure to get an independent test of the water's salinity before adding salt. The system may not always be accurate on the salinity level due to a problem in the board or cell. Generally, the display should be accurate +/- 400ppm, but may need calibrated based on the results of your independent test.

Doe you know how one goes about "calibrating" the cell"? I have the same salt cell as you and mine is reading 3-400 ppm low. I know because I used the salt strips as well as the Taylor drop kit. I inspected the cell and it looked fine. I've cleaned the cell with an acid mixture to be sure, but it is still reading low. I am not sure what else to do at this point, but I don't want to add more salt.

Thanks.
    Equipment, etc.
    30,000g IG Quartz
    Goldline Aqua Logic SWG
    Hayward SwimClear Cartridge Filter
    AquaComfort Heat Pump
    Hayward Phantom Turbo Cleaner
    Taylor K-2006 & K-1766
    Procrastination is the key to flexibility.