2nd year, lost at least 50% of water again ...

looper

May 6, 2010
So this is my 2nd year owning a 24' AGP, and it looks like I lost most of my water again. This happened last spring as well (and actually damaged most of the end caps), but it remained full once I filled it back up, so I don't think it's a leak. The only thing I can think of is that the snow (I live in an area which gets at least 200" of snow) is pushing down so much it is forcing the water out of the pool. Here is a bad picture, I was in a hurry, but can take a better picture this weekend:

pool.jpg

That looks like it is half full, but most of that is the snow that is melting, on top of the winter cover which got pulled in, so maybe 20% of the original water is left. Is this normal? The first year I closed it the way the pool store instructed me to (use a strap around the pool to keep the cover in place), but since that damaged parts of the end caps, I did it the old fashioned way, and used milk jugs this season, and kept as much snow off it as I could.

I am thinking that next time, I will just get a leaf net or something, and not bother with the tarp. What do you guys thing?

A leaf net could work, but even ordering a cover that is the next size up would help, not for water displacement but at least the cover would not end up in the pool :rant: . You guessed right in that the water/ice/snow on top of the cover is pushing the water under the cover up and out your return or skimmer. To avoid this, you should plug the return and skimmer (I plan to use a skimmer plug as well as a gizmo for back-up (my skimmer plug leaked :rant: ). The leaf net will work, but you'll have to dump the leaves before winter comes. Eventually they will just fall apart and drop in the pool.

The return and skimmer are plugged. The only thing I didn't do (since you supposedly don't have to because of the plugs) is lower the water level. But considering how little water is left, I'm not sure if it would have mattered.

How did you plug the skimmer? Skimmer door or a pvc plug? On the return plug, did you use teflon tape? One of the openings leaked or the water was pushed up over the rail. My skimmer plug leaked, although still in place, (a small leak) and yet lost at least 18" of water through it.

Skimmer plug is basically a large rectangular plastic cover. The rails have hollow space underneath, so I would guess that's how it drained once it got pushed up high enough, but even if the skimmer/return was the issue, water level shouldn't have dropped this low (I would think, still new at this). Last year I had to spend $200 to get more water trucked in, now I have municipal water, but it will still be an expense, plus now I have to open the pool early in order to distribute the chemicals etc, since it is all fresh water.

I noticed other people in my area are having similar issues, while many others aren't even covering their pools anymore (but I have a big tree right next to it, so not sure if that's an option for me).

We are also new 27' x 52" AGP owners, we lost about a foot of water. Cover was removed today, everything looks fine, no obvious leaks, damage etc... We live in a very snowy area as well, got tons this season.
Other than catching leaves, is there another purpose for covering your pool? Is it harmful to not cover your pool (ie: liner, railing etc...??).
Thanks for any and all info!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So what is the recommended way of wintering the pool in an area which gets this much snow? Last year, the end caps broke off, this year I got lucky, only 1 'fell' off, so no major damage this time (assuming you don't include the cost of refilling the pool).

You may want to go the no cover route, and just be prepared to start circulating the water after the last threat of snow...and then consider a freeze-guard protection for the pump. What I would suggest is a leaf net, and then consider a portable submersible pump. With a sub-pump, you can use it to occasionally circulate the water before it freezes and add chlorine if needed. In early spring your chlorine demand won't be as high, you can start balancing the water fairly early... even if you elect not to hook up the pump. You would probably want to just lower the water to below the return, leave the skimmer open. That way if you do get a ton of snow excess water will melt thru the return/skimmer openings.

I'm with FPM...you could also just get a larger cover or a semi solid cover that allows water to flow through it, but will still capture fine debris. I'm pretty sure artic armor makes a cover with a pass through panel in the middle of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.