Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pressure up, can I still run the pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

pressure up, can I still run the pump?

I won't be able to clean my filter until this weekend but it's been a few days since the pump has been run and I want to know if it's OK to run even though it's up 10 psi since I cleaned it last. I'm not sure why the PSI jumped so much as it's only been 3 months since I cleaned but that's another story for another day.

Can anyone tell me if it's ok to keep running it? Started at 6 and now I'm about 18.

Thanks for a quick response.
    anne
    Temecula, CA
    16X32 (approx) 20k gal, DE filter, IG, plaster/pebble with diving board & slide
    Whisperflo pump; Pentair SMBW 4000 Series filter... that's all I know! Still learning....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pressure up, can I still run the pump?

You can still run the pump. It's not going to explode or anything.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Oh good, no explosions is good. I just wondered if it would damage it.

Thanks!
    Anne
    Temecula, CA
    16X32 (approx) 20k gal, DE filter, IG, plaster/pebble with diving board & slide
    Whisperflo pump; Pentair SMBW 4000 Series filter... that's all I know! Still learning....

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

If your starting psi was indeed 6 (that's very low) then your pump will not be pushing nearly as much water through the system at 18.

Clean it as soon as you can, you are not operating very efficiently and it is very likely quite dirty.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    You can still run the pump. It's not going to explode or anything.
    I always wanted to know this. So a psi too high is merely a filtering-effeciency issue & a less than desireable flow/return issue, not a safety issue?
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

Correct; however, if your pressure is so high (filter is so clogged) that you aren't getting any appreciable flow, you could conceivably damage the pump since it depends on moving water to cool it. Filters/plumbing can spectacularly fail; it's very rare but it does happen (just last week there was an exploding filter thread here on TFP). In short, I wouldn't worry about running the pump, but would clean the filter as soon as I had time.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden