Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding a vacuum gauge

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding a vacuum gauge

After reading mas985's great posts on hydraulics, I am interested in adding a vacuum gauge to the suction side of my pool piping. I have done some searching on this site, but can't find the posts that told how to add the vacuum gauge to the PVC piping. Was it just as simple as "Drill and Tap"?

Also, any ideas where to find a vacuum gauge? The local hardware store just stocks pressure gauges.

Thanks!

Titanium
    24,000 gallon inground freeform pool/spa circa 1983 (113 ft perimeter, 625 sq ft) with 350 gallon attached spill-over spa
    2007 2 HP, three-phase Hayward TriStar pump which is powered by an Ikeric VS-200 variable speed drive system
    1983 Laars XE Pool/Spa Heater Type ES 400,000 BTU, 1998 Hayward Super Star-Clear C-4000 cartridge filter (400 sq ft, 4 separate cartridges)
    1998 Polaris 380 pressure-side cleaner w/ 3/4 HP booster pump
    One skimmer :( and one PoolSkim :), One Supervision Galaxy LED pool lamp, Second story solar panels
    Hayward/GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 (replaced 1983 vintage dual circuit Intermatic timer)

2. Back To Top    #2
    You can get an automotive vacuum gauge for around $20 from many different places. I'm not sure how they hold up long term, but they work quite well for short term use.

There are many different ways to attach a vacuum gauge. Using one of the drain plug holes on the pump is usually a fairly simple approach.

A flow rate meter costs a little more, typically a bit under $100, but gives a more directly usable number in my opinion.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

JasonLion,

A flowmeter also sounds like a good idea.

Do you have a flowmeter installed for your pool? Do you have pictures or a link of what type/brand of flowmeter?

Thanks!

Titanium
    24,000 gallon inground freeform pool/spa circa 1983 (113 ft perimeter, 625 sq ft) with 350 gallon attached spill-over spa
    2007 2 HP, three-phase Hayward TriStar pump which is powered by an Ikeric VS-200 variable speed drive system
    1983 Laars XE Pool/Spa Heater Type ES 400,000 BTU, 1998 Hayward Super Star-Clear C-4000 cartridge filter (400 sq ft, 4 separate cartridges)
    One skimmer :( and one PoolSkim :), One Supervision Galaxy LED pool lamp, Second story solar panels
    Hayward/GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 (replaced 1983 vintage dual circuit Intermatic timer)

4. Back To Top    #4
    The Blue-White F-300 series works well and is affordable. You need 14 times the pipe diamiter of straight pipe to install them (21" for 1 1/2" pipe, 28" for 2" pipe) and there are different models for horizontal, vertical flow up, and vertical flow down. They are available from various sources for $60 to $100, for examaple AquaNet.Net (horizontal only). Installation is easy, drill a hole in the pipe and clamp it on.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    Titanium,
    View THIS THREAD for a few pics of a flow meter installation.

I think I may end up doing this too.
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

JasonLion and ktdave,

Thanks for info on the flowmeters. Very useful.

Titanium