Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do I fix this crack

1. Back To Top    #1

How do I fix this crack

Pool cracked in the corner and I chiseled it out to let the water drain. Pool builder is not an option. I want to seal this crack, if possible, with hydraulic mortar mix, I then want to fill that corner with concrete, and build out and extend the stone down from the water fall to the bottom of the pool. What type mortar and concrete should I use for this? Also, is necessary to tie the new concrete into the existing pool wall with rebar? I can do this. I just need to know if I am on the right track.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    14,500 gal pool
    Inground
    Plaster
    Intellichlor Salt Generator
    Water Fall

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do I fix this crack

Yikes! I see in your other posts that your pool is ~4 years old, right? I know you said pool builder is not an option; I'm guessing that means they're out of business? Otherwise this is their problem to fix. Sorry I can't be more help, but others should be around soon.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Hydraulic cement should work and if I didn't do anything else, I'd chisel a few holes in the existing shell and anchor a few pieces of rebar in it. It'd be good to have them span the crack but that may not be possible in every place.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Hydraulic cement should work and if I didn't do anything else, I'd chisel a few holes in the existing shell and anchor a few pieces of rebar in it. It'd be good to have them span the crack but that may not be possible in every place.
    What do you mean by "span" the crack?
    14,500 gal pool
    Inground
    Plaster
    Water Fall

5. Back To Top    #5

bore or chisel a hole on both sides of the crack and span it with a piece of rebar so it's anchored on both sides into the concrete.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Span the crack - example from my deck repair.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Whatever happened to the guy who drained his whole pool?"
    27,000 gal plaster in-ground
    Compupool 40k SWG from eBay - works great!
    Polaris 380
    Hayward DE
    1.4 HP Hayward Northstar pump
    Two FAFCO Solar Bear panels now heating the pool!

7. Back To Top    #7

Great photo. What about an epoxy to go into the holes to bind the rebar?
    14,500 gal pool
    Inground
    Plaster
    Water Fall

8. Back To Top    #8

Definitely use epoxy and a waterproofing additive and don't forget to blow out the drill holes with a compressor. I'd also consider adding short glass fibres to the mortar mix too. Great photos.
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

I'm just posting to say how impressed I am with the great technical knowledge available on this forum. Nice posts, folks!!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Hello, My name is John Kells with http://WWW.ADVANCEDART101.COM and I think that you have more problems then what meet the eye in your pictures. Please take a moment and research deep before going down this repair road.
    I have 30 years of experience doing such repairs that other people built, and believe what you want, but, this is very serious if not done right. I will step by step what I see to be your cure if you want to go it alone.
    #1 Chip out all concrete until it is clean and free of lose pieces. #2 Clean rust off of rebar #3 Drill 1/2" holes in the middle of the wall every 6" to epoxy in 3/8" rebar that will be 6" deep on each side #4 wash out holes
    and concrete, allow to dry fully #5 fill 2/3 with epoxy in the drilled hole one level at a time, add steel with the extra length to allow for your crack span #6 Put a form on wall to allow for pouring your repair material
    #7 Before it is dry, remove form to rough up the wall with a stiff brush so that the plaster sticks better ( wet down the old cement before adding new material to assure a good bond, and rub it in with your hand at the point
    of bond to help even more ) I hope this is good enough of an explanation for you, good luck!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    I'm just posting to say how impressed I am with the great technical knowledge available on this forum. Nice posts, folks!!
    As am I. Not sure you would be able to get that kind of advice anywhere else, even for a fee.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by John Kells
    Hello, My name is John Kells with http://WWW.ADVANCEDART101.COM and I think that you have more problems then what meet the eye in your pictures. Please take a moment and research deep before going down this repair road.
    I have 30 years of experience doing such repairs that other people built, and believe what you want, but, this is very serious if not done right. I will step by step what I see to be your cure if you want to go it alone.
    #1 Chip out all concrete until it is clean and free of lose pieces. #2 Clean rust off of rebar #3 Drill 1/2" holes in the middle of the wall every 6" to epoxy in 3/8" rebar that will be 6" deep on each side #4 wash out holes
    and concrete, allow to dry fully #5 fill 2/3 with epoxy in the drilled hole one level at a time, add steel with the extra length to allow for your crack span #6 Put a form on wall to allow for pouring your repair material
    #7 Before it is dry, remove form to rough up the wall with a stiff brush so that the plaster sticks better ( wet down the old cement before adding new material to assure a good bond, and rub it in with your hand at the point
    of bond to help even more ) I hope this is good enough of an explanation for you, good luck!
    Super advice! Thanks. What size rebar? this site is worth way more than $30.00.
    14,500 gal pool
    Inground
    Plaster
    Water Fall

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Miscanthus
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kells
    Super advice! Thanks. What size rebar? this site is worth way more than $30.00.
    Never mind, just saw the rebar size
    14,500 gal pool
    Inground
    Plaster
    Water Fall