Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening up Intex metal frame pool...algae...test numbers

1. Back To Top    #1

gulf coast of Texas

Opening up Intex metal frame pool...algae...test numbers

I tested the water before adding my bleach this morning. Haven't added stabilizer yet. All I have on hand is the granule stabilizer, not liquid. I added in 7 of the big size bleach bottles..I think they were 182oz each. I may have done overkill on the bleach. I checked the pool calculator and it said to add in 4.1 jugs of the 182oz size..but my stupidity..I didn't use the calculator till AFTER I poured them all in. Did I do any harm?

Here are my numbers before the bleach:
    CYA- less than 20 I'm sure because I filled to the top and could still see the black dot.
    CH- 450

It says to add 86oz of muriatic acid to reduce th pH to 7.0.

Suggestions before I move on?

Atlantic Pool Products "Prestige" metal wall pool 18' x 48" round
    vinyl liner
    Hayward Power Flo pump
    Hayward Perflex DE Filter Model EC50AC

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Opening up Intex metal frame pool...algae...test numbers

You added about 47 ppm CL to your pool I'd definitely let that come down before I did anything else. Once that's come down and you've killed all the algae then add some CYA to get to about 40 to start with.

With a CH of 450 it isn't a bad idea to keep the pH on the low side but I'm not sure I'd shoot for 7.0 but with a TA of 240 I'd go ahead and add about half the muriatic acid recommended and add more whenever the pH rises back to 7.6. DON'T check the pH again until the FC has come back down to 10 ppm or less.

Test your fill water for CH and report back.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit