Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test kits disagree

1. Back To Top    #1

Test kits disagree

Installed the pool last August and have been using the crummy kit they supplied (Pentair 78HR). Guy that walked me through pool school said the kit was not adequate and suggested I purchase a better one, so I just bought a Taylor K-2105. I did some tests with both kits and was surprised at the difference in some of the numbers. The Taylor showed PH 7.8 and TA of 90, as opposed to the Pentair readings of PH 8.2 and TA of 60. Is this normal for kits to not agree?
    Viking Laguna 14K IG , Smart Pure SWCG, SwimClear C5520 Cartridge Filter, TriStar 1.5HP, SmartControl PLP4 controller.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test kits disagree

Various test kits have wildly differing quality, so this is not surprising. Taylor are the best, I'd trust their resuls.

The Pentair PH test can be thrown off by medium or high FC levels, Taylor's is compensated up to fairly high FC levels.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, I had figured the Taylor might be more accurate.
    Viking Laguna 14K IG , Smart Pure SWCG, SwimClear C5520 Cartridge Filter, TriStar 1.5HP, SmartControl PLP4 controller.

4. Back To Top    #4

I had no idea that Pentair even had kits. Learn something new every day I guess.