Just started thinking about a pool and looking at UV

Mar 30, 2011
Clearwater, FL
Hi,
I just started researching pools and looking at UV systems when I ran some posts here. It sounds like UV isn't so great.... but does it help at all? I'm planning a smaller size above ground pool in northern new england. I've always disliked chlorine effects. I am also interested in the easiest system to maintain. Using a lower level of chlorine with a UV filter sounds like it might help.

I read a few negative posts here regarding UV filter but I'm not looking to eliminate chlorine, just reduce it some. Is looking into UV light worth any more of my time?

I also looked at SWG a little. As I understand it the chemical cost is lower but the equipment cost and upkeep is higher making them fairly even in cost. What about difficulty to maintain? Is it easier to maintain a SWG pool or straight chlorine?

Thanks!
-Ben

UV does very little for an outdoor pool. UV can be very handy for an indoor pool or a spa. Outdoors you get lots of UV from sunlight, so UV adds little. UV doesn't cause any harm, other than cost extra.

Most people find a SWG pool easier to maintain, though the difference isn't all that large. I would never give up my SWG now that I have gotten used to it. You have it right on lower chemical costs and higher equipment costs, which more or less cancel out.

Welcome to TFP!

If I had to do it all over again, I would go with a SWCG just for the sake of convenience. But it isn't troublesome at all to run a straight chlorine pool.

Not sure what you mean by "chlorine effects". If you mean odor, rashes, and the like, these are caused by a lack of chlorine and are hallmark signs of a dirty pool. Properly chlorinated pool water has virtually no odor at all. Itchy burning eyes are the result of out of range pH levels and not chlorine. Lastly, a salt water system is a chlorine system and disinfects the water the same as a straight chlorine pool does. The only difference is that you are making your own chlorine with a SWCG system. Without a SWCG system, you must add the chlorine by hand.

UV systems are spendy and are expensive to repair once they break. The sun does a better job than the strongest of UV systems and it does so for free. Unless the pool is an indoor pool, there really isn't much reason to get one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.