Did I screw up?

Jan 7, 2011
North Texas
I know plenty of people do their own start up and probably don't sweat it, but I am a slow learner and tend to get overwhelmed in the details but have always been one to dive on in.
Here's the update:
Friday the 25th pool was full and pumps kicked back on.
Saturday started brushing the pool completely once a day
Sunday same thing + clean filters
Monday take a water sample before adding chlorine
results:
FC 0
Ph 8.2
TA 80
ch 150
added 3 pucks in floater
still sweeping, attempt to vaccum without luck ( is there a fo dummys step by step on here somewhere, didn't see it, have watched you tube and still can't get suction)
Tuesday
swept

Wed (Today)
retested
FC 1 ( didn't do CYA this time, will do it with next test)
PH 8.2
TA 120
clean filters
ACCCK, check PS and forums and realize that I should have already been adding muratic acid!!! Promptly went to PC and proceeded to add 3 cups, 1 oz or muratic acid
BTW, HOW do you handle that stuff safely....it freaks me out!!

So, here we are and I am thinking I have not done so hot so far...and yet I am trying so hard...please tell me there is still hope for me, my pool and all the money I just spent??
HELP!
:shock:

Your pH needs to come down to between 7.2 and 7.8. It should never be out of that range. Lower it with muriatic acid. It's not tough to handle. Just don't take a big whiff, don't spill it, and don't splash it. The biggest danger with handling it is getting it in your eyes. Just don't be rough with it.

You need a good test kit. Go to www.tftestkits.net and get yourself a TF-100.

I noticed that you have cleaned your filters twice. Are you clearing a green pool? It sounds like you are.

Muriatic acid can be a little tricky. I always wear googles and keep the acid down wind from me. It is best to only handle at pool side and be ready to submerge anything you spill acid on. As long as it can't get in your eyes (protective eye wear is important) the only real risk is to you clothes, so wear clothes you don't mind getting holes in.

If muriatic acid bothers you, you can use Acid Magic or dry acid. Both cost more, but are much easier to handle.

Thanks. I do have the TFP test kit, but I did fail to mention this is a new plaster start up. I've read to do the start up slowly and so I've taken all of my baseline readings (before adding any chems), but am only concentrating on the basics right now while I do the start up. I think that's where I got kinda confused about when to start balancing the PH...was focusing on adding FC first.
Cleaning filters every few days until the plaster dust goes away. Hopefully now that I added some muratic acid I will start to see a decline in the dust. Got a friend at work that I am going to have over to show me what I am missing with the vaccuming part. I have a brush head for a vinyl liner per PS reccomendations that will be gentle with the curing plaster. I am SO sick of the dust already...but hey, I know it won't be for long.
Thanks Jason for the suggestion of Acid magic and dry acid. I think I may go the Acid magic route. I use my hands (and arms) for a living, so acid burns are not something I want to risk and there is a reason my name is not grace.
So not adding the acid the first couple of days....how bad of a mistake was that?

Hi bubbles, pH is important when starting up. One of the basics you mention. It should never go above 7.8. So try to bring it down a bit. As far as being a mistake, I would not say that. My pool builder dropped a hose in my pool to fill it up and I did not see him again for about a month ( I turned the water off when it was full). After a month and having been checking the chemicals I had been well over 8.2 pH and it took over a gal to bring it down. I was a little upset with him after I learned the ropes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.