Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Remote temp sensor

1. Back To Top    #1

Remote temp sensor

Anyone used a wireless remote temp sensor connected to an in house weather station?
    I have seen one and would like to try it to monitor my pool temp.
    Its a La Crosse TX3UP
    15ft round above ground pool (6600 gallons)
    Sand filter
    Jandy gas heater
    Intermatic timer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Remote temp sensor

I have an el cheapo thing I bought from a hardware store. It's rubbish, uses 1 battery a week on the sensor, has to be within 10 foot of the sender, line of site. I've had a few, they've all had their downfalls. I'm on the lookout for a nice brass min/max thermometer now. If I need remote I'll get an IPcam to watch it with
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

3. Back To Top    #3

I have one that I got at Home Depot almost a year ago. Works great still has the original batteries. Not sure if the northern stores carry as much pool stuff as the stores down here (Florida). Think it was about $30.
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

amazon has a few, here is one

5. Back To Top    #5

Remote temp sensor

I've tried a few and basically, 90% of them suck. Lacrosse everything is terrible, temps way off and not consistant. The pool flotie ones always leak and short out. Right now I'm using one from oreagon scientific, the rms600a with the separate water probe sensor. You get atomic clock, indoor temp, water temp, air temp and best of all it hooks up to your computer so you can track it over time. Well worth the money!
    Intex 18' AGP - Intex SWG - 19 inch Sand Dollar Sand Filter - 1HP Pentair Dynamo Pump - 4X20 Solar Panel - Goldline Solar Controller.

6. Back To Top    #6

Those Oregon Scientific ones look about the only professional ones I've seen. I'd always promised to try those.
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

7. Back To Top    #7

6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Brentr
    I had one of those. It worked ok but then started to leak and shorted out. Also, the distance from where I had it in the pool to the closest place I could put the monitor was about 30 ft. This was a bit too far and it would not always pickup the signal. Could also be that I have a brick veneer home and that doesn't help.
    Carlos
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool

9. Back To Top    #9

Remote temp sensor

I went through 3 of the homedepot ones before I gave up on them. Last one I used silicone sealer everywhere, top and bottom, screws everything, still leaked. As for range pool is around 50ft away, and my oregon scientific sensor sits on the skimmer far side of the pool. Never have any signal problems!
    Intex 18' AGP - Intex SWG - 19 inch Sand Dollar Sand Filter - 1HP Pentair Dynamo Pump - 4X20 Solar Panel - Goldline Solar Controller.

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, I had some leaking issues in the beginning, however luckily HD replaced them for me and it looks like they have made some improvements since then. Just keep your receipt.
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Dale.s
    I've tried a few and basically, 90% of them suck. Lacrosse everything is terrible, temps way off and not consistant. The pool flotie ones always leak and short out. Right now I'm using one from oreagon scientific, the rms600a with the separate water probe sensor. You get atomic clock, indoor temp, water temp, air temp and best of all it hooks up to your computer so you can track it over time. Well worth the money!
    Which probe are you using, got a part number?
    Carlos
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool

12. Back To Top    #12

I think the part number is 4410, Acurite Pool and Spa Thermometer

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by benavidescj
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale.s
    Which probe are you using, got a part number?

The pool probe im using is THC268, i like this one as only the probe is in the water, so no leaking and its weatherproof.

base station is RMS600

The software that comes with it is ok, but i use weatherstation data logger attached is a graph of outdoor and indoor temps over the past 12 hours :P I still find it so awesome to see when the solar kicks in and out!
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Back To Top    #14

I couldn't keep water out of the Acurite, and eventually gave up. I just go out and push the diagnostics button on the SWG.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    I couldn't keep water out of the Acurite, and eventually gave up. I just go out and push the diagnostics button on the SWG.
    Thats the problem i think we have all had with the ones that float in the pool, its impossible to keep them 100% dry, and especialy with a salt pool it dosnt take much to fry them

16. Back To Top    #16

I really want the type that have a probe, my son always wants to throw the float type around!, My indoor weather station is a La Crosse.
    15ft round above ground pool (6600 gallons)
    Sand filter
    Jandy gas heater
    Intermatic timer