Help with Quote??

Mar 30, 2011
We live in central Kentucky and are in the process of building a pool (our first). I'm pretty knowledgeable about construction, but know nothing about pools. Our contractor is definitely qualified and comes highly-recommended; however, with that comes a big price tag (isn't that always the case?)

I was hoping the folks on here could look at this quote, let me know what you think, if the price is good/bad, is there extras I'm missing, things I don't need, etc.

Size - 20x50; 3'3" to 8'6" deep gunite with custom steps across shallow end and swim out at deep end.

Price - $69,250.

Includes:

permits, inspections except for electrical final;
lay out and excavation (spoil to remain on site);
6000 plus psi concrete reinforced with 3/8" & 1/2" steel on 12" centers;
plumbing sized sch 40 PVC, dual vgb compliant main drains, 2 skinners, 4 returns;
Pentair CCP 420 Filter (3 yr extended warranty);
Pentair 1HP Whisperflo Pump (3 yr extended warranty);
Rainbow automatic chlorinator system;
250,000 BTU Raypak Gas Heater (3 yr extended warranty);
Polaris 380 automatic pool sweep with booster pump;
(4) Pentair 500 watt white lights;
6x6 frost proof tile at waterline;
White marbelite interior finish.

Add-ons we intend to get:

Pebblecrete black interior finish - Extra $6,680
Autopilot SC60 Salt Chlorinator - Extra $2,200
Upgrade to Pentair VS3050 SVRS variable speed pump - Extra $1,100
Stone coping (material & labor): $15 per foot.

What do you think??????

Welcome to TFP :wave: ...although I don;t have the slightest clue on the total package price, with that size pool, you should ask for the heater to be upgraded to a 400k BTU unit and the pump should at a minimum be a 2-speed, to help save some on electrical costs. With that overal package price, quite frankly they should be including a variable speed pump.

california, 20 x 40, 3' 6" x 8', all pentair equip, w variable speed pump, easytouch 8, salt sys, pebble tech, 2 lights, sun deck and deep end step, auto cover, solar system 6 4' x 12', 30" raised bondbem on 60% of one side with 3 shear desent waterfalls, diving board. $72,000. Should be done in a month. Altough all the other landscaping / other things you will need will prob rack up another $10,000, min, if you do it your self.

The price sounds a little high, but so much depends on details of your site that it is difficult to say.

The most important thing is getting and checking references. A good builder is worth a fortune compared to a bad builder.

With a pool only there is no need for a variable speed pump. Typically Shotcrete or Gunite is around 4,500 psi. That heater is small for a larger pool like that especially for your climate. Is there no deck aorund the pool?

On that size of a pool and it being a pool only a 1 hp pump would turn it over in 8 hours. The benefits of a variable or 2 speed pump comes into play if they were to add a water feature or Spa so you can "ramp" up the hp to get good flow out of your jets or sheers or whatever. They are quoting a Polaris 380 and it comes with it's own booster so there is really no need there either for a multi speed setup. You could add one to that setup and the only benifit you would get is turning the water over faster but there would be no real energy savings because when you go into the upper speeds you are using that much more electric.

Sceadu, Contrary to your assessment, you would save money by using a 2-speed pump. Using your scenario that a 1 hp pump will give you 1 turnover in 8 hours. 8 hours at 7.7 amps x 230 volts = 14.2 kwh. In order to get one turnover on low speed you need to run the pump twice as long so that's 16 hours at 2.8 amps x 230 volts = 10.3 kwh so you would save 4 kwh per day using your scenario. Unless I misunderstood what you meant.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.