Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Another FNG!

1. Back To Top    #1

Another FNG!

That would be 'Friendly New Guy'...

New to pool care here in Tucson AZ. Biggest hurdles right now is getting a test kit, assuring that I am backwashing correctly, and getting chlorine in the pool...

Background:
    Moved into this rental house in February 2011. Never have done pool care in my life, did okay with chemistry. Pool Owner gave minimal instructions before leaving to new mexico...

I just love a challenge!

The current PH is over 8.2 (off the chart of my current test kit) have been adding 2 cups of muratic acid for the past 3 days... will get a fresh reading today if I am not out of reagent for the PH test!

I believe it's time to hit the pool store and pick up either the TF100 or K-2006... and leaning twords the TF100 right now...

Hope to have more valid info, or success stories soon!

This is a great site for us N00Bies... I will be recommending it to Friends and Family!
    Pool Capacity - 17,000+/-,Sand Filter on IG plaster style older build, pump size TBD

Free eBook! ---> Internet Safety Tips - "The Essentials" ---> The Seeber Consulting Blog

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Another FNG!

Welcome.

You won't find the TF100 in stores. And it's unlikely you'll find a K-2006, either. K-2005 is plentiful, but not the same. No matter what the salesman says.

My advice: go to http://tftestkits.net and order a TF100. Also order a speedstir. Given the hardness of your water, you might want to get extra R-0012 now.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ditto what Richard said.

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP.

Listen to what Richard says. TF-100 & Speedstir. It's worth your money.

Don't be fooled by the PS. They'll tell you the kit they have is the same as the K-2006 but in all but very rare instances they don't carry the 2006 equivilent in stores. If it doesn't have the FAS-DPD test it isn't the same. DPD and FAS-DPD are two different tests. You need FAS-DPD.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome. This is a great place for information. I've been mining this site for a couple of weeks. Also if you become a lifetime member which is cheap. You get $10 off your test kit.
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

7. Back To Top    #7

Hello Everyone,

Great responses...

Thanks for the confirmation that the TF-100 is the way to go...

Finally got the PH *on the scale* and added another 2 pints ... the TFP Calculator said 3c 5oz... but I had just added a bit of water and figured that it might settle in nicely overnight.

Got to get the test kit and introduce some Chlorine! I did get the FC test DPD tabs.... and there is no chlorine in the pool!

One Step At A Time (keep telling myself that)...

I bit the bullet and ordered up the TF100! Would love to 'Life Member' up, but it's a rental... Hope to be here next year... we are shooting for a 2 hear 'rest from moving' as my Home Based Business ramps up...

Much appreciated! Off to get a 6 pack of bleach and some more acid!

Thanks again for the warm greetings and hot tips on money saving! I'll be back for more...

L8ter...
    Pool Capacity - 17,000+/-,Sand Filter on IG plaster style older build, pump size TBD

Free eBook! ---> Internet Safety Tips - "The Essentials" ---> The Seeber Consulting Blog

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome to TFP!!

Sounds like you've got the right attitude and will soon have a beautiful pool tin which to swim
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Welcome to TFP
    Josh Ulfers - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

10. Back To Top    #10

Hello and welcome to TFP.

11. Back To Top    #11

Amazing what a couple of days can do for you...

That and the realization that you aren't working with 35% Muriatic acid, but 14.5%...

Ph is now 7.6
    FC is 1.0, and disappearing overnight... Using the PoolCalculator I am dosing for '3'... and wondering if bumping it up will stabilize it faster, or just waste chemistry ... Once I receive the TF100 I will get an idea on my CYA which is unknown at this time.

So I am leaning towards only using one bottle of bleach a day till I know more.

Unless y'all have input, I will stay the course pending the arrival of the TF100.

I will get pics on the pump and sand filter and let y'all check it out. It's as faded as it can possibly be (sand filter) and there is no intelligible info on it now...

No return of the algae, and my younger bro reminded me that the pool's been without FC all winter, so it's probably burning up a bunch of organic material that is trapped in the filter...

That's my update for now.

The support is appreciated! And things are turning around, hopefully stabilizing soon!

L8ter...

PS - You ever wish you could kill the tree in the neighbor's yard, or is it just me... and we've only lived here 2 months!!!

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Pierre!,

So I am leaning towards only using one bottle of bleach a day till I know more.
    That is really an excellent plan and exactly what I would recommend in your case. Once you get some accurate numbers you can start to correct things that need correcting. Your grasp of the chemistry is quickly apparent (as is your younger bro's!! ) so I think you'll have your pool back into shape quickly and ready for a great swim season with sparkling water.

To your knowledge, is the pump/filter working OK? If so, I think the sequence would be.....

1. get pH in the 7's (That's done....nice work)

2. Add a small jug of clorox each day until you can post accurate test results (run your pump 24/7)

3. Post results

4. Adjust chemistry (don't be too surprised if you have ZERO CYA or perhaps way too much)

Looks like you are on your way to a sparkling pool. How does your water look currently?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    To your knowledge, is the pump/filter working OK? If so, I think the sequence would be.....
    Yup, pump and filter seem to be fine! Pool is *crystal* clear! Took 2 dives into the pool couple weekends ago, and then hot weather hit - Next day the pool started to have a green 'shine' to it! Called the owner, she said 'throw some SHOCK in it'... and that worked. Killed the green in one application. Learned from another forum (glocktalk.com of all places!) that THIS IS THE PLACE to get the low down on Pool Education... and they are RIGHT bout that!

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    1. get pH in the 7's (That's done....nice work)
    2. Add a small jug of clorox each day until you can post accurate test results (run your pump 24/7)
    3. Post results
    4. Adjust chemistry (don't be too surprised if you have ZERO CYA or perhaps way too much)

Looks like you are on your way to a sparkling pool. How does your water look currently?
    Check, Check, Check, and Check! Like I say, it's crystal clear now and will hopefully stay that way. I will probably swim all weekend... cause it's gonna be in the 90's and the swamp cooler isn't setup! So it will get the work out.

I'll pick up another 6 pack of bleach today just in case I push the pool to another 'green tinge' state by swimming, so that will be my 'just in case' backup plan.

Thanks again for the knowledge. I know y'all came by it honestly (head scratching and hard work!) and I do appreciate it!

14. Back To Top    #14

What kind of "shock" did you use, cal-hypo or dichlor? The only thing you should be using to shock the pool is liquid chlorine or bleach, the pool-store "shock" bags are usually cal-hypo, which raises calcium levels, or dichlor, which raises CYA. These may not be a bad thing, but you need to know what's in your water now before you add anything else. The only way to get rid of calcium and CYA is to drain some water, or reverse osmosis treatment.
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html