Keeping the pool warm

extra

Mar 29, 2011
Hello all - I have a question about retaining heat. I live in Michigan, our 20 x 40 lazy-L inground vinyl liner pool is heated with a gas heater ... and the kids like it warm, but my pocketbook is dreading that heating bill and seeking some relief. The solar pool cover is the first thing that comes to mind, but am not so keen on the idea due to the difficulty in placing and removing it daily, the cost of a reel needed and the kids tripping over that.

I was considering the solar sun disks, as well as the liquid solar, but the reviews I have read have just as many negatives as positives. I would very much appreciate all feedback and experience, and any suggestions about ways to keep the pool warm and the gas bill down. (Of course, our pool is not open yet, we still have night temps in the teens! :shock: )

A solar cover is the way to go. It will help significantly. Yes, they can be annoying to put on and take off, but you get used to it fairly quickly and it doesn't seem nearly as bad after a week or two, especially when you see how much difference it makes.

Agreed - even here in AZ, a solar cover keeps the temp in the pool pretty stable overnight, maybe a 2-3 degree loss in temp....without it, we see about a 10 degree drop, unless 95 degrees is our low for the night ;). The added benefit is also that the solar cover will help heat your pool during the day when the kids are not in the pool! Free heat is good heat!

The solar cover will substantially reduce the cost of heating the pool, as well as helping warm the pool a few degrees as well. There are always trade offs, but using the solar cover will likely retain far more of the heat you add to the pool, so your gas heater will run less to keep the pool warm. Cost vs. convenience seems to always be the decision.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.