Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Keeping the pool warm

1. Back To Top    #1

Keeping the pool warm

Hello all - I have a question about retaining heat. I live in Michigan, our 20 x 40 lazy-L inground vinyl liner pool is heated with a gas heater ... and the kids like it warm, but my pocketbook is dreading that heating bill and seeking some relief. The solar pool cover is the first thing that comes to mind, but am not so keen on the idea due to the difficulty in placing and removing it daily, the cost of a reel needed and the kids tripping over that.

I was considering the solar sun disks, as well as the liquid solar, but the reviews I have read have just as many negatives as positives. I would very much appreciate all feedback and experience, and any suggestions about ways to keep the pool warm and the gas bill down. (Of course, our pool is not open yet, we still have night temps in the teens! )
    20 x 40 inground lazy-L
    vinyl liner
    Rheem 266 BTU gas heater
    Salt Water Chlorine Generator, Nexa Pure

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Keeping the pool warm

A solar cover is the way to go. It will help significantly. Yes, they can be annoying to put on and take off, but you get used to it fairly quickly and it doesn't seem nearly as bad after a week or two, especially when you see how much difference it makes.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Prescott Valley AZ

Agreed - even here in AZ, a solar cover keeps the temp in the pool pretty stable overnight, maybe a 2-3 degree loss in temp....without it, we see about a 10 degree drop, unless 95 degrees is our low for the night . The added benefit is also that the solar cover will help heat your pool during the day when the kids are not in the pool! Free heat is good heat!
    12k IG Pool / Spa - plaster
    Jandy ePump 2.0 & Hayward Power Flo II (for rock waterfall)
    Pentair CCP320 Cartridge Filter
    iAqualink RS controls & Aquapure PLC1400 SWG
    Pentair Minimax NT 400k btu heater & 6-4x12 Fafco Panels

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

The solar cover will substantially reduce the cost of heating the pool, as well as helping warm the pool a few degrees as well. There are always trade offs, but using the solar cover will likely retain far more of the heat you add to the pool, so your gas heater will run less to keep the pool warm. Cost vs. convenience seems to always be the decision.
    APSP CST Certified
    17k inground concrete; 1.5hp 2 speed Tristar pump, 300sq.ft. Cartridge filter, AquaLogic PS-4 w/ Tcell-15, Navigator suction cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

Western Pennsylvania

The liquid blankets are just Isopropyl alcohol, the water needs to be still for them to have any effect, a proper solar cover is the best and they are not that difficult to put on or take off.
    15ft round above ground pool (6600 gallons)
    Sand filter
    Jandy gas heater
    Intermatic timer

6. Back To Top    #6

San Rafael, CA USA

The alcohol is just a carrier that quickly evaporates. The actual coating that remains is a long-chain hydrocarbon with an alcohol end such as stearyl alcohol (in WaterSavr) or cetyl alcohol (see this patent, possibly for HeatSavr).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

Also, should you decide to go for the solar cover, you can cut it in two to make the handling easier
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

Beautiful Downtown Burbank

I bought the rings, optimistically hoping that they would be better than the negative reviews I had read portrayed them to be. I was wrong.

Go with the solar blanket.
    19,500 gallon plaster pool, Kreepy Krauly, IntelliFlo pump, Solar Sun Rings no longer heating the pool now that I have eight 4x12 Heliocol panels on my roof!