Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Cover Under Solid Cover???

1. Back To Top    #1

Staten Island NY

Solar Cover Under Solid Cover???

Does anyone think it is a good idea or bad idea to leave a solar cover in a pool underneath a solid cover? I doubt it will hurt the solar cover or the pool but am not sure.

I live in Staten Island NY where we do get consistently freezing weather. How solid the pool water gets....I'm not sure, but if I had to guess, 1st foot or so.
    -400 sq ft ingroung Fiji (straight back kidney) ~ 13,500 gallons - Vinyl Liner - 3 to 6 Feet
    -Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump
    -Hayward Perflex DE Filter EC65A
    -Hayward H 250 Heater

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD
    I doubt that it would cause any problems, but I don't see any advantages either.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Mantua, NJ
    I do not leave the solar cover in the pool over winter. I would think the panel will crack when you have ice.

21k IG vinyl, 300 lb. sand filter, 1hp pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, 3/4hp booster pump, 240sq ft Fafco solar, Liquidator

4. Back To Top    #4
    Morgantown, WV
    I don't know for sure, but I would think that the life of the solar cover would be shortened.
    24000 Gal, 18x36 Vinyl
    Hayward Super Pump
    Jacuzzi Tri Clops Cartridge Filter
    Heat Siphon Heat Pump

5. Back To Top    #5
    We did it one year with an old cover after we had bought a new one. It had no advantages, but the solar cover got skanky under there and it made opening the pool harder. Would not do it again.

18' round Sharkline Matrix AGP / 8600 Gal. / sand filter / Aqua Trol SWG
    Pool owner since 2001. Thanks to TFP for helping me convert off Baquacil after six years!

6. Back To Top    #6

I left mine on last winter in NJ as it made it a lot easier to put the winter cover on. The cover did not suffer and damage.
    20x40 IG vinyl, heatpump and solar and 3 siberian huskies, 10kw PV solar electric system. Nikon Photographer D800e dSLR.