Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How important is SVRS? In particular on a pump.

1. Back To Top    #1
    Metro Atlanta, Georgia

How important is SVRS? In particular on a pump.

Looking at the Ecostar and Intelliflo pumps I see they both have SVRS options. This option raises the price by about 25%-35%. I don't recall seeing this feature on (many, if any) single and 2 speed pumps. So I've been wondering, how important is this feature? Is it worth the extra money?
    19,600 gal, Vinyl, Grecian L, StaRite Dura-Glas 1 HP pump, 3/4hp booster, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge filter
    The Pool Cleaner 4x, PoolSkim

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: How important is SVRS? In particular on a pump.

Others may correct me, but my impression is that if your pool was constructed with dual main drains and/or has the entrapment-proof covers, it is unnecessary. It's designed to release the suction if it senses that something is stuck in the suction port (i.e. a child's swimsuit). An older pool with a single drain would benefit, but should be retrofitted with the entrapment-proof drain cover anyway.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

SVRS is well worth it if you have to have it, and should generally be avoided otherwise. As Melt In The Sun said, you only need it if your drain/suction ports are not otherwise entrapment proof.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

South Central NJ

Some states/towns require them on new construction. Suffolk county on Long Island (NY) requires them and not just on commercial pools.

They can help make a pool safer, even if they have dual, non blockable drains.

There are two in the US market that are available today. The Hayward and the Pentair. I am not a fan of Hayward in general but some here are. The Pentair has been out substantially longer. The Hayward is, in this category, the new kid on the block.

Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

Austin, TX

I have it on the vs-SVRS and it's bloody annoying. It's like princess and the pea, the pump stops when you get any air into the system - like when vacuuming. If you don't need the LCD display, the VS-3050 is the way to go if you want a 3HP unit.
    38K Gallons IG, Intelliflow VS-SVRS, 30GPM 24/7, 72sqft DE Filter, Spectralight UV, Jandy C1900 driving Liquid Chlorine and Acid (toys, I know..), Jandy LXi gas heater, Aquacal SQ175 Heatpump, Riverflow Competition swimmer, Jandy automation, Touch and iAqualink, Pebblesheen | The Build