Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What???!!!!! $1300 for a gas line

1. Back To Top    #1

Central Illinois

What???!!!!! $1300 for a gas line

We are/were thinking about getting a heater for the pool we're getting. I just got 2 quotes $1395 and $1200!!!!!
    Is that outrageous or is it just me?
    FYI the distance between the meter and the pool is approximately 50 feet. If you have a heater, how much did it cost you?
    Does it cost a fortune to run it to?

Thanks for any input!!
    15x30x54 AquaLeader Sentinelle AGP
    2 HP 2 Speed Hayward SwimPro Voyager Pump
    Hayward SwimPro Voyager 150 sq. ft. Filter
    Hayward H series millivolt 150 btu Heater

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mount Airy, Maryland

Re: What???!!!!! $1300 for a gas line

That is a reasonable price in MD. I got 3 quotes and each were around $2500, but they also installed the heater for me and didn't dig the ditch - I did. But let me say this - I LOVE gas heat!!! and it was worth it.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds reasonable considering the cost of the copper (pretty high right now, as with many other metals), the cost of skilled labor to install it and all of the "extras" like digging, permits, inspections, etc.

I looked into running a gas line to my house a few months back for a new gas instant-on water heater and a gas dryer and stove. Just the cost from the gas company to the house (about 60 feet) was $3200! From there, I'd do my own runs to the pool, BBQ, etc. That said, just the materials on the do it myself install were going to be over $1000.
    Clearwater, Florida

12,000 gallon kidney shaped gunite pool
    Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP Pump
    Pentair CCP420 420sq/ft Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Intellibrite 5G 120V Pool Light

4. Back To Top    #4

That's not bad at all You'll find with an AGP that the pool itself is the cheapest part of getting the pool up and running. I ended up paying $899 for the pool and about $9k for the rest... deck, electric, permits, solar panels, pump, filter, SWG...ugh, ok time for me to forget that time and look fwd to enjoying the pool
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Ottawa, ON, Canada

The line goes underground? Just the risers are pretty expensive.. and then they charge you a lot because they can.
    19.5k gallons in ground, P4 panel with turbocell SWG, 1hp Hayward superpump II, sand filter, Heater low nox 250k btu heater, solar cover on rocky roller