Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cutting paver stones, etc.

1. Back To Top    #1

Cutting paver stones, etc.

I had just started cutting the coping stones last fall for installation around the pool when it got too cold and had to shut everything down for the winter. I was using a masonry cutting wheel and it took about 5 - 10 minutes to cut 1 stone. I can handle that pace, but I also have pavers and capstones for my wall to still cut. I'm assuming that these would be equally slow. Would a diamond saw work better/faster? What would be the best option?
    15000 gallon gunite pool with smart brite quartz, 2.5 hp pump, Hayward filter, elevated spa, waterfall, smart vac viper pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cutting paver stones, etc.

What kind of stone is your coping made from?

You can use a masonery wet saw to cut pavers and caps.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Concrete as far as I know. They are made by Oaks. Would a wet saw cut faster than a dry one?
    15000 gallon gunite pool with smart brite quartz, 2.5 hp pump, Hayward filter, elevated spa, waterfall, smart vac viper pool cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, a diamond blade will work much better and faster. The blades are either segmented or continuous. Get the continuous for a better, smoother cut. You can use a sander to smooth and bevel the edges of the stones after they are cut. You can get a blade that fits on a circular saw or you can rent a bigger saw if you have a lot of work that needs to be done.

A dry saw should be fine for stone and concrete. A wet saw is better for tile.

5. Back To Top    #5

Can I just buy a diamond blade for my saw, or are they too expensive? Also, do you need to use water for cooling with a diamond blade, or is it used dry?

6. Back To Top    #6

A dry saw will work for pavers and caps. Using a wet saw keeps the dust down. I've used both wet an dry cutitng pavers and prefer the wet saw.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by archer_310
    Can I just buy a diamond blade for my saw, or are they too expensive? Also, do you need to use water for cooling with a diamond blade, or is it used dry?
    The blades are about $23.00 to 40.00 each and fit on a regular 7-inch circular saw. They can be used dry.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_195931-10742-TL ... nd%2Bblade

8. Back To Top    #8

Depending on how much you have to cut, I would look into renting a wet masonry saw. It will be faster and much more comfortable to use, since you stand at the saw and push the paver through the stationary blade rather than stooping down and pushing a shaky hand-held circular saw.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Depending on how much you have to cut, I would look into renting a wet masonry saw. It will be faster and much more comfortable to use, since you stand at the saw and push the paver through the stationary blade rather than stooping down and pushing a shaky hand-held circular saw.
    +3

10. Back To Top    #10

I would also opt for a "WET" masonry saw. Dry will get DUST everywhere including inside you. I've got a hand held wet masonry saw ($1000) Husqvarna and I probably cut 3 pieces the entire time dry and won't do that again. I have already put in over 20 pallets of wall and caps and block. I've used that saw for many different things and was a true "Good" purchase. Cutting pavers with the saw would be a little tougher than wall material.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

I have one of those cheap Ryobi tile/stone saws from Depot (around $100, as I recall) that works fine for that kind of work. Has a diamond blade, runs water through it to keep it all cool. Works good on tile, concrete, bricks, you name it. I'd check Craigslist if I were you for something like that. When I cut down some thick pavers to make ends and edges, they cut in about 30 seconds each.

Denis
    Clearwater, Florida

12,000 gallon kidney shaped gunite pool
    Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP Pump
    Pentair CCP420 420sq/ft Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Intellibrite 5G 120V Pool Light

12. Back To Top    #12

I bought a 10 inch dry diamond masonry blade and and used it in my chop saw. It did create alot of dust but I used a fan to push the dust away from my work area. One blade did my whole project of approximately 400 cuts of concrete pavers. I agree with denis my cuts took about 30 seconds per cut.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

13. Back To Top    #13

A wet saw certainly has the benefits that have been noted. A wet saw will also help keep the blade cool. If the blade overheats and is overstressed, it can warp and be ruined.

There are several types of blades, "Segmented", "Continuous standard" "Continuous tile". The segmented is best for heavy cutting where the smoothness of the cut is not too important. The standard continuous "turbo" rim provides a smoother cut. The smooth "tile" blade gives the smoothest cut. The "tile" blade is thinner and is more prone to overheating and warping if used dry.

If you choose to use a dry blade, then a proper dust mask should be used. Eye protection should also be used.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng ... nstraint=0

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by jasonknox
    I bought a 10 inch dry diamond masonry blade and and used it in my chop saw. It did create alot of dust but I used a fan to push the dust away from my work area. One blade did my whole project of approximately 400 cuts of concrete pavers. I agree with denis my cuts took about 30 seconds per cut.
    How much did the blade cost and where did you purchase it? No problems with heat using it dry?

15. Back To Top    #15

I also use a little ryobi angle cutter with a diamond blade to cut angles or curves. Works fine. Just generates a LOT of dust. Bought both from Home Depot.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by archer_310
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonknox
    How much did the blade cost and where did you purchase it? No problems with heat using it dry?
    I bought it at Lowes and if my memory is correct it was under 50 dollars and was the Dewalt Brand. I had no heat problem while using it dry.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.