Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Covers

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Covers

Over the past couple weeks, we've had some extreme wind, blowing all sorts of crud into the pool... mostly organics but anything else the wind could find. Wind gusts were in the 50-60MPH range. I was getting frustrated with skimming the pool and thinking that there has to be some type of pool cover that can withstand the extreme wind and keep the pool clean at the same time. I'm imagining something that will require anchors put into the concrete decking around the pool. I'm thinking of using this type of pool cover primarily during the winter months when the pool isn't likely to be used anyway. Anyone have any advice? I'm also contemplating a solar blanket, what do I need to look for and avoid? I already have a solar heater system, is a solar blanket overkill?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Covers

I'm sure the Loop-loc covers will stand it but you don't want to be doning and doffing those anymore than you have to.

A solar cover surely isn't overkill. It will help retain the heat that your system generates.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

A solar blanket will get blown right off in a 50 MPH gust. A mesh safety cover, properly installed will hold. A solid might catch some air but should survive. Much more wind speed and all bets are off.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

We've got a leaf net that we anchor down with some bricks. It works great to keep big things out of the pool. They're realtively inexpensive. Ours cost about $100. We used it during the fall when we had the pool built and they didn't have a cover on it till December. It didn't catch everything but really kept alot out. You could put the leaf net over the solar blanket.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by XsAllOverIt
    We've got a leaf net that we anchor down with some bricks. .
    One word of caution for those with vinyl pools. Using bricks or blocks to hold down a cover can lead to not so good things. If something were to happen to pull those bricks into the pool, you could end up witha torn liner.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

I've got a gunnite pool, but the blocks I'm using are about 60 pounds and I've got over 10 surrounding the net when I anchored it down, and it's a net, not a cover. I don't think a leaf net would create any resistance unless someone would jump on it. I could see a reall issue then.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit