Pool Covers

Jan 18, 2011
Roseville, CA
Over the past couple weeks, we've had some extreme wind, blowing all sorts of crud into the pool... mostly organics but anything else the wind could find. Wind gusts were in the 50-60MPH range. I was getting frustrated with skimming the pool and thinking that there has to be some type of pool cover that can withstand the extreme wind and keep the pool clean at the same time. I'm imagining something that will require anchors put into the concrete decking around the pool. I'm thinking of using this type of pool cover primarily during the winter months when the pool isn't likely to be used anyway. Anyone have any advice? I'm also contemplating a solar blanket, what do I need to look for and avoid? I already have a solar heater system, is a solar blanket overkill?

I'm sure the Loop-loc covers will stand it but you don't want to be doning and doffing those anymore than you have to.

A solar cover surely isn't overkill. It will help retain the heat that your system generates.

We've got a leaf net that we anchor down with some bricks. It works great to keep big things out of the pool. They're realtively inexpensive. Ours cost about $100. We used it during the fall when we had the pool built and they didn't have a cover on it till December. It didn't catch everything but really kept alot out. You could put the leaf net over the solar blanket.

I've got a gunnite pool, but the blocks I'm using are about 60 pounds and I've got over 10 surrounding the net when I anchored it down, and it's a net, not a cover. I don't think a leaf net would create any resistance unless someone would jump on it. I could see a reall issue then.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.