Afras Booster Pump Install Help

Mar 28, 2011
Hi all,

New to the forum. Looks like it will be a great resource for my current problem and many in the future I am sure. Pool owner for three years now and just starting to get the hang of it.

This year a few problems creeped up. Booster pump leaking and went bad. Had a quote from the local pool repair for about 600 bucks!!! Yikes. Decided to do some research and purchased a new replacement Afras 3/4hp booster pump for my polaris.

Went to install tonight and all seemed easy and straight forward. Three wires. Green ground, negative and positive. Well the terminals on the back of the new pump are not labeled pos and neg but rather L1 and L2??? I went ahead and put hooked up the same as the old pump was with the positive or red wire on the bottom and the negative on the top.

It was prewired for 120v but can do 240. I switched the pump on and it hummed...then had a small spark and quit. I am thinking I should have reset it for 240 as that is what i believe my elec is set for.

Opened the back up and didn't see visible damage or wire problems. Is it possible that I damaged the motor? It was only on for a matter of 4 seconds.

Anyone had this happen? Thoughts? My next step is to bump up to 240 and try again but I wanted to get some advice first.

Thanks,
Michael

If it was pre-set for 120 and you supplied it was 240 you may have damaged the motor.

Most motors come pre-set for 240. What brand motor is Afras using with their booster pumps?

I would be sure to double check the voltage you're supplying to it before trying again. Is it hooked up to a timer? The timer specs may indicate if you have 120 or 240 service.

When you turned the breaker off for the pump did it have one handle or two joined together?
The spark bothers me a little. That's usually a sign that something bad has happened.

Be very very careful fooling with electricity when you're not well versed in it.

well I thought most were set for 240 as well and didn't think anything of. After reading more on it theirs are preset to the lower. Which has me worried about damaging the motor.

I know my breaker is 240...so I should have double checked the setting on the motor. I will try resetting for 240 and seeing if it works. If not, I hope i get a replacement motor.

Thanks for the replys.

Hind sight is 20/20 as they say. It seems odd that they would ship them that way unless specifically ordered.

Live and learn. I'll make sure to actually check the hookup on every motor from now on.

Hopefully it was just the start switch that sparked.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.