newbie 1st opening SW IGP questions

Installed 14x28 pool near end of summer last year, so only had a few weeks of swimming. Basically just added salt and ran the filter, nothing else. Several questions before opening this spring:

1) What temperature should the water be at when I uncover the pool? I understand it should be fairly early in order to avoid algae growth.

2) I assume that I should add stabilizer. Any preferred method for this? Anything else that I should be adding at opening?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Most SWCGs don't start producing chlorine when the water is below 60 degrees, so you may want to check the manual and see if it lists the operating temperature recommendations. If you want to open before the water is warm enough for the SWCG then you will need to use some form of chlorine until it gets warm enough to keep up on its own.

If you did not add stabilizer last year then you will need to bring it up to 60-70 ppm. You can use powdered trichlor/dichlor and add Chlorine and stabilizer at the same time. Use the pool calculator to see how much you need to add.

Just check the pH, CH, and TA and adjust as needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.