Photos wanted: Iron stain vs calcium scaling

K, here's iron:[attachment=1:1jubzc1m]first step 2.jpg[/attachment:1jubzc1m]

and here's calcium:[attachment=0:1jubzc1m]plaster close-up.jpg[/attachment:1jubzc1m]

Attachments

• first step 2.jpg
    first step 2.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 406
  • plaster close-up.jpg
    plaster close-up.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 406
Iron stains are generally smooth, while calcium scaling is rough. Iron stains can be anything from a mild yellow to dark brown. Calcium is white, but can have dirt and/or iron or copper embedded in it, which can make it just about any color, with various shades of tan being the most common.

Thanks guys. That helps. I've got both.
Iron probably from old heater.
Calcium was 330 way back when I converted to salt water. I can figure out where the extra calcium came from to raise it to 500+!!
Fill water Ca is 40.
All I add is HCl.

So just finished a drain and fill.
Time to order the ascorbic acid.... :(

JasonLion said:
Iron stains are generally smooth, while calcium scaling is rough. Iron stains can be anything from a mild yellow to dark brown. Calcium is white, but can have dirt and/or iron or copper embedded in it, which can make it just about any color, with various shades of tan being the most common.
The calcium scaling above is smooth, polished feeling. I have a feeling newer/recent calcium scaling would be rough like sandpaper, while older deposits could be smooth like mine.

When I first took over the pool, I had calcium scaling throughout the pool. I thought the general roughness of the plaster was solely because of age and pitting. However, now the roughness has smoothed significantly as I have kept the pH on the low side to combat it. Most of the older, thicker deposits remain, though even those seem less pronounced than at first.

BTW, I also have light iron staining throughout my pool also. If I think about it, I'll take another picture later that will show it. It is basically a very light rust color throughout the entire surface of the plaster. There is a little copper staining as well, but I don't think it would show up in a photo...

OK. Not proud of this.. but maybe it well help others.
I think I have calcium scaling, and Iron staining. The supposed iron stain did lift with vitamin C.
The calcium scaling show up very well with the drained pool. Not sure I have good photos of the iron stain yet. Feel free to move these to a better place...

Attachments

• scale1.jpg
    scale1.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 346
  • scale2.jpg
    scale2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 345
  • scale3.jpg
    scale3.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 343
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.