Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Photos wanted: Iron stain vs calcium scaling

1. Back To Top    #1

Photos wanted: Iron stain vs calcium scaling

I have read lots of great posts on Iron stains, metal stains, and calcium scaling.

Does anyone have any photos or can reference anything in the forum with good photos of either calcium scale or better yet iron staining?

Thanks,

Lee
    IG 24k plaster with overflow spa. Goldline PS-8 SWG. Tristar 0.75 HP filter pump, Polaris 280, large cartridge filter, 400k BTU NG Max-E-Therm HD, SR Smith Turbo Twister, Life Saver pool fence, ORP managed.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Photos wanted: Iron stain vs calcium scaling

K, here's iron:[attachment=1:1jubzc1m]first step 2.jpg[/attachment:1jubzc1m]

and here's calcium:[attachment=0:1jubzc1m]plaster close-up.jpg[/attachment:1jubzc1m]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

3. Back To Top    #3

Good pics Beez...especially of the calcium.

4. Back To Top    #4

Iron stains are generally smooth, while calcium scaling is rough. Iron stains can be anything from a mild yellow to dark brown. Calcium is white, but can have dirt and/or iron or copper embedded in it, which can make it just about any color, with various shades of tan being the most common.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Hey, lets update this thread!! It happens to be my neglected child

pictures-of-algae-stains-etc-t23499.html
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks guys. That helps. I've got both.
    Iron probably from old heater.
    Calcium was 330 way back when I converted to salt water. I can figure out where the extra calcium came from to raise it to 500+!!
    Fill water Ca is 40.
    All I add is HCl.

So just finished a drain and fill.
    Time to order the ascorbic acid....
    IG 24k plaster with overflow spa. Goldline PS-8 SWG. Tristar 0.75 HP filter pump, Polaris 280, large cartridge filter, 400k BTU NG Max-E-Therm HD, SR Smith Turbo Twister, Life Saver pool fence, ORP managed.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Iron stains are generally smooth, while calcium scaling is rough. Iron stains can be anything from a mild yellow to dark brown. Calcium is white, but can have dirt and/or iron or copper embedded in it, which can make it just about any color, with various shades of tan being the most common.
    The calcium scaling above is smooth, polished feeling. I have a feeling newer/recent calcium scaling would be rough like sandpaper, while older deposits could be smooth like mine.

When I first took over the pool, I had calcium scaling throughout the pool. I thought the general roughness of the plaster was solely because of age and pitting. However, now the roughness has smoothed significantly as I have kept the pH on the low side to combat it. Most of the older, thicker deposits remain, though even those seem less pronounced than at first.

BTW, I also have light iron staining throughout my pool also. If I think about it, I'll take another picture later that will show it. It is basically a very light rust color throughout the entire surface of the plaster. There is a little copper staining as well, but I don't think it would show up in a photo...
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Hey, lets update this thread!! It happens to be my neglected child

pictures-of-algae-stains-etc-t23499.html
    Feel free to move my pics over there if you want to...

9. Back To Top    #9

OK. Not proud of this.. but maybe it well help others.
    I think I have calcium scaling, and Iron staining. The supposed iron stain did lift with vitamin C.
    The calcium scaling show up very well with the drained pool. Not sure I have good photos of the iron stain yet. Feel free to move these to a better place...
    Attached Images Attached Images