IC 40 not making Cl with 65 degree water

tmoss

Jul 17, 2007
North Texas
3rd unit in less than 4 yrs, version 2.0. Warranty won't cover it. PPM salt per Taylor drops is repeatedly 3400-3800. Unit says it's 2200. Last week I re- installed unit with 71 degree water and it read 3200 and made cl. Close enough. Cold front this past week cooled water. Pentair says it needs 70 plus to work. Huh? My previous units didn't need such warm water to make cl. This unit is 15 months old. Started giving false low readings last Nov. Acid washed twice, no change. Day to day ppm readings varied over 2000 with one or 2 degree water temp changes. Removed unit for the coldest months and stored indoors. My previous unit acted the same way. That one was replaced under warranty and worked from day one until last Nov. I know the salt reading is temp. compensated. Perhaps it's a bad temp probe? Recommendations?

tmoss said:
I know the salt reading is temp. compensated.
My understanding is it's not temp compensated. Do you know it is for sure? My version 1.9 is not temp compensated.
FWIW, I always get high readings with the strips, at least 800 ppm high as compared to what my easytouch tells me. I've never used the drop test.
65 degrees is right on the edge where it works, though. I've seen my salt reading at 3500 at 70 degrees. When it hits 65, it drops off to 2200 or so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.