Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stains on glass tile

1. Back To Top    #1

Stains on glass tile

Split into a new topic. Please, only ask new questions in your own topics. JasonLion

Sorry to bump this but I'm dealing with a glass tiled pool at the moment with similar stains. I'm meant to be cleaning and regrouting this pool for a client. The grout has completely gone. I've emptied it and at the waterline there is a wide tide mark, partly white partly white. I guessed it was iron and calcium as the pool is filled with well water and is 30 years old. So far I've managed to remove the white with 10% MA undiluted, wiped on with a sponge without using too much so as not to loosen the tile adhesive underneath. There is some fizzing but not the characteristic yellow foaming. The brown is almost impossible so far. It even resists a wire brush attachment on my angle grinder. I was unable to get pure Asc.acid but I got 100g from a pharmacy which also has sucrose and a few other things in it and this did nothing at all. I also tried neat bleach, mechanics hand wash product (thinking maybe it was suncream residue) and MEK (pool plumbing cleaning solvent).
    The residue is hard and the only way I've got any off is by using a chisel on a very small area.
    I'm going through all the results of my searches here but I wondered if anyone has any more ideas?
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Iron Staining

it might be copper...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Stains on glass tile

I don't know if you can get it where you are, but for stains that don't respond to either ascorbic acid, muriatic acid, or chlorine, I fall back to the Jack's Magic Stain ID Kit.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Stains on glass tile

Please excuse the topic faux pas Jason. It is possible someone has used copper algaecide in this pool, I hadn't thought of that. I'm pretty sure I can't get the stain ID kit but I have found some 33% MA that I might try next. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll post my results.
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.