Finished DIY build in Georgia

Re: Starting IG DIY build in Georgia

armstrr said:
are you happy with the quality of the kit from royal pools? we are about to take the plunge and i don't think i want to deal with either of the local pool places. if you don't mind, i have a few questions.
Did you get good instructions?
are the braces of good quality and do they provide enough of them?
what brand are the skimmers they provided?
did you get your other pool equipment from them as well?

thanks in advance. I hope my pool goes in half as smooth as yours!

Hi Armstrr,
A) The instructions were fair, like probably all kits, one binder of instructions can't possibly tell you all you need to know. TFP research and asking questions as they come along is my main source if info. I was particularly amazed at how many different ways (orders) there are to do the processes. some people do all the plumbing, wiring backfilling, etc before doing the floor and hanging the liner. Others hang the liner right after walls and floor.

B)The kit quality, particularly the braces are fine, it appears to be a very strong design.

C) Royal kits include a Waterco skimmer. To me it seems like a good skimmer, I ended up buying a second one.
I later read around here that Hayward skimmers are of a good design for vinyl pools.
Waterco parts ( baskets) are available but not stocked everywhere like Hayward.

D) Yes I purchased all equipment from them except a Letro Autofill and MX8 cleaner which I later purchased from other sources.

All and all, I am pleased with the "Royal' experience. Good information and no pressure.
My only advice would be to possibly compare them to Danthepoolman.com, I've read some good things around here about them too. I would check on their warranty regarding liner replacement as I had a seam failure and Megna, the liner mfgr., kindly supplied a replacement but would not cover any water or labor. I hear some companies will cover the extras. Otherwise I've had good luck with Royal and recommend them.

Best of luck,
keep us posted,
John

Progress is slow but (somewhat) steady. A couple of weeks ago I decided I wanted an autofill, so we wouldn't have to drag hoses across our deck. I thought it would be a piece of cake. I bought the Pentair Letro online for $75 shipped. When I mentioned to the building inspector that I wanted to add this he put a stop on my already called in bonding and electrical inspections and said to bring in the paperwork for the autofill. They did a plan review revision and noted that code would require a backflow preventer in the pressure water line. That backflow preventer was $90 but I can understand the reasoning for having it. This little job set me back two weeks in permitting, boring concrete, pressure testing, etc, and about $250 total in parts/supplies. I do think it will be worth it as I added a spigot (and autofill shutoff valve) at my pump pad for pump priming and general pool cleaning hose.

BTW we've been swimming almost every evening and it has been a blast, just can't wait for decking!

Autofill shutoff and spigot

[attachment=2:2xwr1gyi]valvebox.jpg[/attachment:2xwr1gyi]

Basement backflow preventer and shutoff
[attachment=1:2xwr1gyi]backflowprevent.jpg[/attachment:2xwr1gyi]

Letro autofill plumbed to extra skimmer port, so as no extra holes in pool wall.
[attachment=0:2xwr1gyi]Autofill.jpg[/attachment:2xwr1gyi]

Attachments

• valvebox.jpg
    valvebox.jpg
    504.9 KB · Views: 505
  • backflowprevent.jpg
    backflowprevent.jpg
    510.5 KB · Views: 505
  • Autofill.jpg
    Autofill.jpg
    508.3 KB · Views: 504

rv4hess,

I have followed your build pretty closely, I just wanted to see if we could get a full pool shot! I love the liner and its what we are going to be having installed in our new build starting in a week or so, as well how do you like the LED light? I love photos! :) thanks!!

tatertot09 said:
rv4hess,

I have followed your build pretty closely, I just wanted to see if we could get a full pool shot! I love the liner and its what we are going to be having installed in our new build starting in a week or so, as well how do you like the LED light? I love photos! :) thanks!!

Glad if I can help,..
Out of all the lessons we've learned, so far I can't think of anything on the pool equipment we would do differently.
Of course it would be nice to be bigger :), otherwise we love the sport depth, (we've already experimented with a volleyball net and some matches), the spa steps, the two speed pump is a definite must!, (very quiet on low speed and it will pay for itself in a few short months), and the Colorlogic lights are beautiful. I really agonized on adding a second one, now we are very glad we did. We plan to later add a lighted waterfall or possibly some lighted laminar deck jets?

[attachment=2:vkgepd1i]poolday resize.jpg[/attachment:vkgepd1i][attachment=1:vkgepd1i]poolnight.jpg[/attachment:vkgepd1i][attachment=0:vkgepd1i]liner 001.JPG[/attachment:vkgepd1i]

Attachments

• poolday resize.jpg
    poolday resize.jpg
    509.8 KB · Views: 497
  • poolnight.jpg
    poolnight.jpg
    495.8 KB · Views: 498
  • liner 001.JPG
    liner 001.JPG
    509.5 KB · Views: 498

Woo Hoo, :party:
Big day, finally poured the deck.
After weeks of thunderstorms (dirt blowing in the pool) and much indecision on what type of deck we really needed, we finally have concrete. :cool:

A reputable concrete contractor came through with a good bid on our design (approx $1.75 per foot labor plus concrete).
We decided on a nice design that had a coping type detail and curved expansion joints instead of straight.
After researching (mostly here) we decided to go with overall size first and increased the area to about 1250 sq'.

Really lucked out on the pop up thunderstorms as one nearly hit us in the middle of the pour.
Actually rained for a while during, but thankfully not too hard.

Overall very happy with the job, and especially to get past the dirt and mud phase. :cheers:

[attachment=1:idvwfxdc]Pool 030 dwg.jpg[/attachment:idvwfxdc]This dwg represents only about 1000 sq'
We took MAJ, and others, advice and expanded it to about 1250 also smoothed the outer edges to more of an oval shape deck.
(the freeform outline did not look as good as we thought when we started laying it out). [attachment=0:idvwfxdc]Pool pour 1.jpg[/attachment:idvwfxdc][attachment=2:idvwfxdc]Pool Concrete 072.jpg[/attachment:idvwfxdc]

Attachments

• Pool Concrete 072.jpg
    Pool Concrete 072.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 470
  • Pool 030 dwg.jpg
    Pool 030 dwg.jpg
    511.4 KB · Views: 461
  • Pool pour 1.jpg
    Pool pour 1.jpg
    507.5 KB · Views: 462

Some of the under concrete prep detail:
We used reinforcing wire and I tied it to the bonding wire.
Added 1/2" x 2' rebar around the coping area to help prevent cracks and settling.
On both skimmers, installed the 1" overflow pipe. The one nearest the house I made a lower drain point so we would be able to see water draining, in case the auto fill was ever to malfunction.
Installed 6 home made umbrella sleeves, 1 1/2" x 12" PVC with a female threaded end for a flat cap.
2 for umbrellas by the spa seats, 2 for volleyball poles and 2 for a basketball goal.
My son and I also made the hand rail supports with a wood angle laying on the top step, weighted with bricks.
2lt0cx3.jpg

2uy2ixh.jpg

MajorDIYer said:
Sweeeet! Can you send those concrete guys up to NJ? Nice work. I could use them.

They would probably drive up there, construction work is scarce around here.
A couple of years ago this company was doing 10 times the work with several crews, now it is just the owner and 4 hard workers.
Even so, I was really surprised how many concrete contractors did not want this kind of work.
When we specified the coping joint and expansion joint detail some guys said that would take two separate pours, or they wouldn't attempt it.
Our crew had one guy bring his swimsuit and did the coping joint from in the pool. :whip: Obviously he had the good deal of the day. :mrgreen:

Re: Finishing IG DIY build in Georgia

jhalpinjr said:
This build looks great!!! Your pool shape and lighiting options were the same as my last pool I had built by a PB. inculding my concrete ( cant tell how much you will have) and without any Kool Deck, I paid about $42K (it has SWG, Aqua Logic, with remote control, sand filter, Northstar pump, 2 color Logic 4.0's) The only major difference is my pool had a polymer type wall- not metal.

I am just curious as to how much money you will have into your DIY. Will/Can you share this once you know? I am very impressed so far with your current direction and workmanship through the photo's.

jhalpinjr, we're finally in the last stages of landscaping and fencing.
We now have a good idea of what we will have spent...
Prices are approximate.

18x36 deer creek steel wall kit price...............................................................7300
Swap steps for Spa/step swim out and add air jets................................................200
Add one swim out spa/steps with air jets.........................................................1600
AquaPlus saltwater generator and P4 control panel...............................................1050
2 ColorLogic LED lights w/ niches..................................................................1200
Upgrade to 300# sand filter and 2 speed 1 1/2 hp pump...........................................50
Add second skimmer..................................................................................100
Add auto fill system (with backflow preventer, spigot and misc plumbing)...................250
2" plumbing w/ valves (w/ many trips to Lowes).................................................500
Electrical wiring and Circuit breakers from house main panel to pool sub
panel, wiring to pump, lights, convenience outlets, bonding wires, etc,.....................500

Total of major components and supplies..............................................................................12,750

Excavation equipment rental and labor............................................................1000
Vermiculite floor installation labor and liner install...............................................1000
Sand, #57 stone, vermiculite..........................................................................500
Concrete collar and equip pad w/ labor.............................................................750
Backfill equip rental and prep for concrete decking...............................................500
1200 sf concrete (18 yds, 6" thick)..................................................................1500
Concrete finishing labor (w/ custom expansion joints)...........................................2000
Total hired labor and concrete, materials, etc.........................................................................7250

Water, trucked in (incl extra lost w/ liner replacement)..........................................950
Landscape; sod, crimson stone, plants, etc..........................................................600
2 post lamps, wiring and add gfci breaker...........................................................450
Volleyball net and balls...................................................................................50
Add gate and deck rail modifications to existing fence............................................500
Alarms for house doors...................................................................................50
TF100 test kit w/speed stir and extra chemicals....................................................100
MX-8 pool cleaner.......................................................................................300

Total misc expences,.......................................................................................................3000

Running total for our pool,... (approx)...............................................................$23,000
Hundreds of hours work plus family and friends,.....................................................???
Swimming, relaxing, volleyball with your wife and kids in your own pool.....................PRICELESS!

20tii3r.jpg

ve3qe8.jpg

Slide and basketball goal

A few months ago I found a good used slide on Craigslist for $200. I had to buy the leg mounts but ended up with less than $300 total in it.
We like the sports aspect for our pool but did not like the cheap plastic basketball goals nor the price of the really good ones. I decided to make something nice inbetween. When we poured the concrete deck I installed some extra "umbrella type" sleeves 2 feet apart in the concrete for the goal. We bought a good plexi backboard off eBay for $80 and I had a local muffler shop fabricate a mounting stand (for $100). It is galvanized pipe but I figure I can have it powdercoated if/when necessary.

2uzczeu.jpg

1905md.jpg

Our county required pool BOCA (Building Officials and Code Administrators) compliant barrier. I had to raise some of our deck railing to 48" and some of it had to be made non climbable with only 1 3/4" max gap between the verticals. This was because it would have been considered too easy to climb our deck rail and get into the pool area. One window beside the pool gate had a ledge that was considered a step, so I raised the adjacent rail to 60" and used the "non climbable" spacing to make the inspector happy.
30usmpv.jpg

2im51ea.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Finally done

I finished re-installing our black aluminum fence, reworked the deck rails to be BOCA compliant and added a gate from the deck. Installed alarm system on the doors that access the pool area. Finished our landscaping and sod. Our final inspections were completed Sep 1st. (exactly 5 months from our Apr 1 groundbreaking).
When you DIY you can definitely expect some setbacks and delays. I had the "first timer" learning curve, and a freak liner seam failure. We also added quite a few options along the way like a 2nd Colorlogic, 2nd skimmer, dedicated cleaner line, autofill, and patio post lamps. Just getting permits for and installing the auto-fill cost me over 2 weeks, but it was all well worth it.
We are very pleased with the end result! :party:

The only thing I wish we would have added is solar heat, we do have it planned though.
Also looking now at solar discs or blankets?

Thanks for all the help from TFP! :cheers:
John

67qj5c.jpg

15rz5aa.jpg

1rxkr5.jpg

34j4o0m.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.