Finished DIY build in Georgia

Re: Starting IG DIY build in Georgia

We did the spa/steps on both ends, it's just a swim out place to sit. The air inlets are like in spa tubs, they just add bubbles in the returns. ($200 option for each step but adds 6 returns). If I want heat I'll have to put bunsen burners or electric car seat heaters under them. :scratch: Actually we'd like to add solar some day.

Attachments

• Swim-Out-ALP.JPG
    Swim-Out-ALP.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 533

Had to work a good bit last week so not much was accomplished on the pool.
This week I did backfill about halfway up and used a wacker packer to compact it.
From what I had read here our pool is a bit big for a single skimmer so I added one on the other end.
I also began plumbing and started running electrical conduit.

My "big break" came when a local PB bid to trowel the Vermiculite and install the liner for 1k.
We had a window of opportunity with his schedule, the weather and my off days, so I hired this out. They are a nice Father/Son team with many years experience. So far this is the best money I've spent!
I got to trowel just enough of that verm to really appreciate the art it takes to make it lay down correctly. These guys made it look so easy and were done in 5 hours with just 3 guys. (They said a sand/portland pool would have only taken half that time).
They wanted to drop the liner in today but I said I need to do that on Monday.
During the day I could not see any divits nor trowel marks but in the evening when the sun hit it at an angle I could see some. Overall it looks like a very good job, many times better than I could have done.
Niche inspection scheduled for Monday too.

[attachment=0:1io2h2c3]DSCN6688.JPG[/attachment:1io2h2c3]
Water trough, vermiculite, portland, 3 tons of sand, and a paddle mixer.

[attachment=1:1io2h2c3]DSCN6690.JPG[/attachment:1io2h2c3]
As Waste alluded to in his "bottom install" series, the things like dumping a wheelbarrow full of mix off a board are not to be taken lightly. That mix can stick a bit to the wheelbarrow and flip you over it. (Our crew did fine, but I would probably have been launched in on my first try).

[attachment=2:1io2h2c3]DSCN6699.JPG[/attachment:1io2h2c3]
5 hours of hard work for them, unfortunately I could not get much else done,... I just wanted to watch.

Attachments

• DSCN6699.JPG
    DSCN6699.JPG
    395 KB · Views: 511
  • DSCN6690.JPG
    DSCN6690.JPG
    389.5 KB · Views: 512
  • DSCN6688.JPG
    DSCN6688.JPG
    396 KB · Views: 510

Earlier this week, skimmer 1, and spa/step plumbing;

[attachment=0:3w0veql9]DSCN6679.JPG[/attachment:3w0veql9]
"Fat Man" and "Little Boy"
Considering raising the pump 6" to be at water level,... Your thoughts?

[attachment=1:3w0veql9]DSCN6680.JPG[/attachment:3w0veql9]
3 ea 45 deg for the spa/step returns

[attachment=2:3w0veql9]DSCN6681.JPG[/attachment:3w0veql9]
Used a special Oatey transition cement for the ABS skimmer to PVC pipe joint.

Attachments

• DSCN6681.JPG
    DSCN6681.JPG
    398.6 KB · Views: 509
  • DSCN6680.JPG
    DSCN6680.JPG
    402.9 KB · Views: 509
  • DSCN6679.JPG
    DSCN6679.JPG
    386.7 KB · Views: 509

Niche PVC, bonding whips and junction box.[attachment=2:1w96wtkl]DSCN6697.JPG[/attachment:1w96wtkl]

Attachments

• DSCN6697.JPG
    DSCN6697.JPG
    393.8 KB · Views: 511
  • DSCN6698.JPG
    DSCN6698.JPG
    364.5 KB · Views: 509
  • DSCN6701.JPG
    DSCN6701.JPG
    377.4 KB · Views: 507

4-25-11, crew installed the liner and we started filling our sport depth pool, :party: (approx 16k gallons) with our deep well. The well is normally good for about 7 gallons per minute and we had never had problems with it before. We used 3 hoses so the pump would run continuously instead of kicking off and on. After about 6 hours the well pressure dropped and the water became a bit dirtier. We took out the house water filter and were using socks on the hose ends. When we turned off the spigots the well pump couldn't even build 50 psi to make the pump cutoff. I turned off the well pump breaker for a while (and lowered the pressure switch settings).
Since we didn't have the floor covered with water we had to leave the liner vacuum cleaner on all night. Today the well has recovered but we didn't want to run it dry, so we had 5000 gallons trucked in at a cost of $275. He was experienced at pools and took good care of it.
Our nearest hydrant is about 3/4 mile away. Our next option was renting a bunch of fire hoses.
Even though it's cold water the kids are loving it! :whoot:
Otherwise I'm working on the plumbing to the pad.

Attachments

• DSCN6725.JPG
    DSCN6725.JPG
    341.3 KB · Views: 485

About 4 weeks into the build...(probably 4 days for someone experienced and working on it full time).
Slowly filling the pool and working on routing the plumbing.
Balanced the returns by using equal length pipe.
Sand around the pipes to support them better, will cover with more later.
Used a turbo heater to put a little bend in some 2" pipes so it didn't strain the couplings going around curves.

So far a concrete guy has bid 1.75 /sq ft, labor only, to do a standard concrete deck... Plus extras.
I'm interested in adding a Sundek or Kooldeck finish. Does anyone have recommendations?

Attachments

• DSCN6730.JPG
    DSCN6730.JPG
    397.9 KB · Views: 462
  • DSCN6726.JPG
    DSCN6726.JPG
    407.3 KB · Views: 462
  • DSCN6728.JPG
    DSCN6728.JPG
    344.5 KB · Views: 462

This build looks great!!! Your pool shape and lighiting options were the same as my last pool I had built by a PB. inculding my concrete ( cant tell how much you will have) and without any Kool Deck, I paid about $42K (it has SWG, Aqua Logic, with remote control, sand filter, Northstar pump, 2 color Logic 4.0's) The only major difference is my pool had a polymer type wall- not metal.

I am just curious as to how much money you will have into your DIY. Will/Can you share this once you know? I am very impressed so far with your current direction and workmanship through the photo's.

I like to have the top of the pump strainer basket just a little below the maximum water level. That makes priming easy, and gets you a little flow out of the strainer basket to help clear debris out without so much flow that you need to close valves before cleaning the strainer basket.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Screeching halt....

Bad news, we had been filling a little everyday while backfilling, I noticed this week the water level going down. :grrrr:
2" drop in one night.
At the same time, coincidentally, I was having a pressure drop in my plumbing test fixture. :hammer:
I was initally convinced it was somehow related even though all the lines were capped and pressurized, no way to drain the pool too.
Started checking all the usual culprits, step to liner trim, niches, even main drains.
Called my friendly liner installer, he stopped by, and within a few minutes found a seam that was separating.
It is under warranty but their warranty says they do not cover labor or water, etc, just the liner.
This was bad enough and still did not explain the pressure drop. I installed ball valves on each individual plumbing line so to isolate the culprit(s). Quickly determined one of spa steps was the leaking line. Spent all day digging around the step, and digging down to the supply line at every joint and possible failure point. :whip: The step plumbing is now completely uncovered as is half the line. So far, no smoking gun. The pressure on this line drops a pound every 5-10 minutes but I cannot find a drip from any particular point, yet.
I'm leaving pressure on it all night and will be hoping for a tell tale wet area tomorrow.
I'd be glad to hear your ideas or even other stories at this point.

Frustrated in Fayetteville

Looks good- and makes me miss home! originally from Warner Robins- but have family all over GA! (Big Canoe, Marietta, Jackson, Valdosta, Kathleen, Carrollton, Centralhatchie, Lone Pine, Pine Mountain...)

You expect to have issues as a DIYer doing something the first time, but to be hit twice by defects outside your control... I feel for you. I can deal with doing something over because of my own mistake but it's another thing when it's someone else's screwup. The frustration will pass, though, and you'll have some stories to tell when you're sitting with friends poolside on summer nights to come, right? (Now excuse me while I go pressure test the pre-plumbed spa that was just delivered.)

MajorDIYer said:
You expect to have issues as a DIYer doing something the first time, but to be hit twice by defects outside your control... I feel for you. I can deal with doing something over because of my own mistake but it's another thing when it's someone else's screwup. The frustration will pass, though, and you'll have some stories to tell when you're sitting with friends poolside on summer nights to come, right? (Now excuse me while I go pressure test the pre-plumbed spa that was just delivered.)

Hey Maj, did quite a bit of digging and leak checking on the spa steps. Even cut the pipe at the spa and isolated the step plumbing from the pressure line. It seems that my spa leak may have just been a case of over pressurizing the system.
All the spa air and water manifold lines are clear poly tubing pushed on a barbed end fitting. No clamps, (everything is held in place with expanding foam. Any pressure over about 18-20 would just expand the tube and leak past the connections.
Right now I'm holding 18 psi steadily.

Wish I had known this before I put 30 psi on the system. (see my signature about experience).

Going to pick up the warranty liner tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be filling again by Sat.

Thanks,
John

JasonLion said:
I like to have the top of the pump strainer basket just a little below the maximum water level. That makes priming easy, and gets you a little flow out of the strainer basket to help clear debris out without so much flow that you need to close valves before cleaning the strainer basket.

Thanks, Jason. The pump now should be right about water level, I'll post pictures of the grade since we've started backfilling.

jhalpinjr said:
This build looks great!!! Your pool shape and lighting options were the same as my last pool I had built by a PB. inculding my concrete ( cant tell how much you will have) and without any Kool Deck, I paid about $42K (it has SWG, Aqua Logic, with remote control, sand filter, Northstar pump, 2 color Logic 4.0's) The only major difference is my pool had a polymer type wall- not metal.

I am just curious as to how much money you will have into your DIY. Will/Can you share this once you know? I am very impressed so far with your current direction and workmanship through the photo's.

jhalpinjr, I believe I will have somewhere between 15 and 17k when we are done depending on the Kooldeck bids. We're shooting for about 1000sf of decking. I will gladly post the totals, when I figure it all up.

jasonknox said:
Wet red clay is fun to work in. NOT

jasonknox, the only thing worse is digging up your plumbing from the hard red clay, only to find out it was a false alarm. :cop:

Bama Rambler said:
Maybe the installer will cover the labor (or at least partially) and all you'll be out is the water. Hate it when that happens.

BamaRambler, the installer did offer to redo the liner for only $200 but never showed and did not answer his phone all day. :hammer:

ROB N said:
We have a kool deck, it's great. I like the texture and that it does not get as hot as just concrete. You can also pick out a color you like best... :lol:

Rob N we are definitely interested in the Kool Deck, just looking for someone who does it around here.
Thanks, John.

wmshay6 said:
Those PVC Pipes look nice- but no connections on them. How did you bend them? Is it regular Sch 40? Heat?

BTW- I'm envious.

wmshay6, I saw this on YouTube where plumbers used a big propane torch to heat and bend pipes. I used my old Sears Turbo heater. Just keep the pipe about 2 feet away, rotate and move it around to spread out the heat until the pipe gets soft enough to bend.

Been busy with work and pool, but time to update...
Things moving along well after regrouping from a bad liner and what turned out to be a false alarm spa leak.

May 7th, replacement liner in hand, water truck on the way, original floor crew coming to re-install the new liner. They got hung up at their first appointment and couldn't make it. Had 2 friends available up so my wife, friends and I decided to give it a try...
We cut out the old liner, swept the floor and dropped the new one. Fit well, (no wrinkles) and almost too tight.
We had a very difficult time getting the step area to stay sealed, the plastic and duct tape kept coming loose, which would lose all vacuum on the liner. We kept filling because there were no wrinkles, but when we got 5000 gallons in, the liner floor was covered but the wall vinyl was 6-8 inches away from the wall. :grrrr:
It was a classic case of being unprepared, rushed with the water truck waiting and having important kids functions to attend that evening.
A couple days later we rescheduled the water truck to pump out the 5000 gals so we could I re-vacuum and further stretch the floor of the liner closer to the walls. With Waste's advice I planned this on a warm 90 deg day, to help the liner give.
Again the original liner crew never showed, so my wife and I did it by ourselves. Only this time I had made a wood jig that fit over one step area to support the liner and plastic seal. The idea being to keep the liner from caving into the step area with a vacuum. I had stapled the liner approx 50 times to hold it up to the coping level. We also used 2 vacuums to really pull it.

[attachment=2:1c292yfl]linerredojig4jpg.jpg[/attachment:1c292yfl]

The other step area I tried cutting out some vinyl to be able to tape the liner to the step sides. Not necessarily a good idea as you lose the ability to shift the liner if you cut too much. (I was lucky and it all worked out).

[attachment=1:1c292yfl]linerredosandstep3.jpg[/attachment:1c292yfl]

The liner reset worked much better although the liner still seems tight. (There is about a 2 inch air gap at the wall to floor transition).

[attachment=0:1c292yfl]linerredovac2.jpg[/attachment:1c292yfl]

So far filling is going well and we're up to the skimmers with no further problems. :-D

Attachments

• linerredojig4jpg.jpg
    linerredojig4jpg.jpg
    509.8 KB · Views: 294
  • linerredosandstep3.jpg
    linerredosandstep3.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 291
  • linerredovac2.jpg
    linerredovac2.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 295

Week 7
Plumbing pressure test.
When I thought I had a plumbing leak I installed my Lowe's water valves to isolate any lines as needed.
I like these valves because they have a union nut on top so you can disassemble your upper lines.

[attachment=2:2qq9ela8]pumpvalves2.jpg[/attachment:2qq9ela8]

After county inspection I have run the filter and pump lines to the valves.
The left side lines are the water slide, water feature, spa steps and returns.
The right side are the suction cleaner, skimmers and main drain lines
I primed the pump basket with water, turned on the motor, slowly opened an inlet, it purged air and is pumping great.
BTW a 1 1/2 hp 2 speed pump moves plenty of water on low and is very quiet. It moves a tremendous amount of water on high, and of course is a bit noiser. Thanks to all those posts who recommended a 2 speed!

[attachment=1:2qq9ela8]plumbingworking2.jpg[/attachment:2qq9ela8]

AquaPlus wired for 2 speed pump and lights on the relays.
The GFCI outlet, in the lower right of the box, feeds the SWG power, the Colorlogic lights and a convenience outlet 10 feet from the pool edge.

[attachment=0:2qq9ela8]aquapluswiring2.jpg[/attachment:2qq9ela8]

Attachments

• pumpvalves2.jpg
    pumpvalves2.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 292
  • plumbingworking2.jpg
    plumbingworking2.jpg
    364.4 KB · Views: 294
  • aquapluswiring2.jpg
    aquapluswiring2.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 294

are you happy with the quality of the kit from royal pools? we are about to take the plunge and i don't think i want to deal with either of the local pool places. if you don't mind, i have a few questions.
Did you get good instructions?
are the braces of good quality and do they provide enough of them?
what brand are the skimmers they provided?
did you get your other pool equipment from them as well?

thanks in advance. I hope my pool goes in half as smooth as yours!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.