Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leaving for 9 days

1. Back To Top    #1

Leaving for 9 days

I'm going on vacation for 9 days this coming week and the weather is forecast to be above freezing the entire time.
    My pool is still winterized, so I'm OK there, but my hot tub is running 24 hr/day on the pump. I average 1/4 cup muriatic acid and 1/2 cup clorox every other day to keep everything balanced. The hot tub is set at 70 degrees.

How could I leave for 9 days without having any issues and noone adding chemicals?
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leaving for 9 days

Over nine days you can't guarantee anything. Still, if the tub is covered and you bring the PH down to say 7.0 and the FC up to shock level shortly before leaving you will probably be fine, especially if your TA is reasonably low.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Drain the hot tub? It's only 600 gallons.

Or try shocking it like Jason says. Cover it to keep the UV from consuming chlorine. Even a cheap blue tarp would work. And if it does go green, again, it's only 600 gallons.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

We've been hitting 27-28 degrees in the mornings. I think I'll shock it good add a little muriatic acid and turn the heat off and let it run. The temps are supposed to be in the 40s (low) all next week. We're opening the pool the day after we come back. It will be an interesting journey this spring.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit