Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward/AO Smith motor/intermatic timer question

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward/AO Smith motor/intermatic timer question

I removed my single speed motor with a Hayward/AO Smith TriStar two speed motor. The single speed motor was controlled (on and off) by a T104M intermatic timer. Now, when I turn the breaker on, the motor runs at low speed, with the timer in the off position. When I turn on the timer, the motor switches to high speed. I was told that I needed to add a second timer, a intermatic T106M to the system. Has anyone had this issue? What is the wiring diagram if using the two switches.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Niko
    13K Gal, AG (buried in-ground) pool, Pentair SD40 19" Sand Filter, 1.5 hp Dynamo pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward/AO Smith motor/intermatic timer question

The T104 is a double pole but only a single throw. So it won't operate a 2-speed pump properly.

If your existing enclosure has enough room to add the T106M then that's probably the easiest way to go but if it's a single box then you might be better off getting the T10604R which is a double enclosure with the timers in it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you very much. I do have the room for the T106M. Do you have any wiring instructions for me to follow to wire up the two timers?
    13K Gal, AG (buried in-ground) pool, Pentair SD40 19" Sand Filter, 1.5 hp Dynamo pump

4. Back To Top    #4

This pdf has one at the bottom.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit