Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Umbrella sleeves with pavers?

1. Back To Top    #1

Umbrella sleeves with pavers?

Did a search on the topic, but most of the discussion is related to poured concrete decking.

I'm having 1200 sqft of pavers layed in a month or so and I'm trying to gather information on proper installation of umbrella sleeves. Would this be similar to a concrete surface where they are set before the pour, or would a hole need to be bored for the sleeve after the pavers are set?

I am considering using this product:

Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    Completed: June 2011
    18' X 38' IG Vinyl, 3' - 8' depth ~ 24K gallons
    2 skimmers, 2 wall suctions, 3 returns, 1.5" piping

Hayward Equipment: 1HP Tri-star 2-speed, Aqua-Plus SWG,
    Star-Clear Plus 175 sqft cartridge filter, Colorlogic 4.0 LED

The Pool Cleaner 4X(suction)
    2011 Jacuzzi J-280 Hot tub

2. Back To Top    #2

Calera, Al

Re: Umbrella sleeves with pavers?

I think those type of metal sleeves would have to be bonded. We went with a PVC type which bonding was not necessary. Which could probably be installed either way, but pre set would probably be easiest. IMHO
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Riverside, CA

I don't know if this is the 'Right' way to do it or not.

I installed an Alumawood cover over a large section of pavers (about 600SF). The guys created 5 'footings' for the patio posts prior to installing the pavers. The footings were about 30"x30" and about 12" deep.

Couldn't you pour a similar footing under the pavers where you want the umbrella sleeve? Install the sleeve into the concrete block and leave as much of it as you want above the concrete (make it flush with the finished pavers). My Alumawood guy used a drill bit and 'Red Heads' to mount the posts through the pavers and into the concrete. I assume the proper bit could cut a nice neat hole in a paver.
    40x20 Free Form IG Pool (aprox 29,000 Gal, 140 Perimeter, depth 3'6"-7', Baja Shelf, 8x8 Free Form Spa) - Gunite Shell, Pebble Plaster Finish, Poured Concrete Coping - 3 Deep Heat Returns - Jandy LXi400 Gas Heater (400,000 Btu) - Jandy Variable Speed Pump JEP 2.0 - Jandy CL 600 Filter - HASA Liquidator - Jandy PDA 6 w/ Remote - 4x Jandy WaterColors Pool LEDs - 48" Gas Fire Pit - 6x Gas Tiki Torches - 12'x15' U-shaped BBQ Island (Firemagic Equipment)

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD

Just to add to what Nightmare said. An umbrella sleeve needs something more than just pavers to anchor into. An umbrella could overturn a single paver, even if it was fairly large and tightly set.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Dallas TX

The sleeves from Coolpool work pretty well. We sell quite a few. Code says that any metal 3 ft from waters edge should be grounded.
    This is not too hard to do and they have a grounding screw attached. They are made of 304 SS with a SS bar that runs through the bottom of the sleeve. This ensures that the PVC cap will never be pushed off. It should be set in a concrete footing. 12 x 12 x 6 is probably and overkill but will certainly hold well. Sand the area and lay the pavers. It should come out flush it your contractor does it right.
    It comes with our SS Cap. (nice touch) One of the biggest complaints about the umbrella sleeves is have the right TX wind it will lift the umbrella out and lay it on your front yard. You can get our adapter that allows you to screw your 1.5" umbrella into the sleeve so it stays in place. They are bit more pricy than the PVC or plastic sleeves some builder suggest. In the long run, you get what you pay for.
    They were initially designed for our Pool Volleyball Sytems that went into pavers but soon moved into the umbrella sleeve family.