Is this pump/filter okay

oasis1

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Hi everyone,

We are getting a 15x30 pool in about a month....the filter/pump we are getting is a Hayward Filter System 150. 2 HP/ 2 Speed Matrix Pump and Motor (this is how the sales guy wrote it in my email) Is this filter/pump okay? Is this pump/filter one piece or 2 seperate pieces? Thats a stupid question I'm sure....but I know NOTHING when it comes to this stuff!!! :?

Thanks in advance....Everyone's help is very much appreciated and makes this whole process less stressfull :)

As a general rule, pool stores recommend filters that are too small and pumps that are too large.

The filter is fine. I would go for something larger, but that one is fine. With filters larger is better, less cleaning, better filtering, and less flow resistance.

The pump is too large, though being a two speed mitigates that to some extent. With pumps smaller is better (up to a point). You would be fine with a 1 HP two speed, and would save money on electricity. 2 speed pumps also save electricity, because low speed is like having a smaller pump.

The Hayward 150 system is usually a 1.5 hp pump and a 150 sq/ft cartridge filter sold together on a plastic base.
Here is a picture:
http://www.haywardflowcontrol.com/prd/A ... 0036_A.htm

Have not seen a 2 hp/2 speed pump in the Hayward Matrix series.

A pool that is
15x30 with 48" height = 9,293 gallons
15x30 with 52" height = 10,620 gallons

Even with a heater, there is no real need for a 2 hp pump.

For better energy efficiency, take a look at the 150 sq ft filter with the 1.5 hp/ 2 speed model.
They cost about $50 more than the single speed model, but in most cases you could save this amount in energy costs within the first season of use.

New for 2011, Hayward is offering the 1 hp/ 2 speed system.

Another energy saving option is a timer.
Check out the models with the optional microprocessor timer.
This timer on the rear of the motor allows you to select 6, 12, 18 or 24 hour run times.
http://www.haywardflowcontrol.com/webap ... Id=1014709

Large pumps provide visually obvious water movement, which leads to satisfied customers. Months later when you realize how much the electricity is costing it is too late to return the pump.

Small filters cost less, which most people who don't know better prefer. After a couple of years cleaning a filter weekly you realize how much more money a larger filter is worth.

1.5 HP is still way too large. For that mater, 1 HP is usually too large, but that is the smallest you can normally get in a two speed.

On low speed a normal two speed motor is 1/4 the HP it is on high speed, so a 2 HP is 1/2 HP on low and a 1 HP is 1/4 HP on low. On low speed the pump moves half as much water, but uses around 1/4 as much electricity, so you save 50% off your electric bill.

High speed is occasionally useful for things like vacuuming or draining the pool.

I was one of the converts to the bigger filter/smaller pump mode of thinking after these good people convinced me last year. I'd been a pool owner for over 10 years doing exactly as the pool store told me and I feel dumb for it. The point is, my 3/4HP Pentair Pump with 420sq ft cartridge filter serves me well and I'm saving tons of money on electricity.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.