Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this pump/filter okay

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this pump/filter okay

Hi everyone,

We are getting a 15x30 pool in about a month....the filter/pump we are getting is a Hayward Filter System 150. 2 HP/ 2 Speed Matrix Pump and Motor (this is how the sales guy wrote it in my email) Is this filter/pump okay? Is this pump/filter one piece or 2 seperate pieces? Thats a stupid question I'm sure....but I know NOTHING when it comes to this stuff!!!

Thanks in advance....Everyone's help is very much appreciated and makes this whole process less stressfull
    15x30x54 AquaLeader Sentinelle AGP
    2 HP 2 Speed Hayward SwimPro Voyager Pump
    Hayward SwimPro Voyager 150 sq. ft. Filter
    Hayward H series millivolt 150 btu Heater
    TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this pump/filter okay

As a general rule, pool stores recommend filters that are too small and pumps that are too large.

The filter is fine. I would go for something larger, but that one is fine. With filters larger is better, less cleaning, better filtering, and less flow resistance.

The pump is too large, though being a two speed mitigates that to some extent. With pumps smaller is better (up to a point). You would be fine with a 1 HP two speed, and would save money on electricity. 2 speed pumps also save electricity, because low speed is like having a smaller pump.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The Hayward 150 system is usually a 1.5 hp pump and a 150 sq/ft cartridge filter sold together on a plastic base.
    Here is a picture:
    http://www.haywardflowcontrol.com/prd/A ... 0036_A.htm

Have not seen a 2 hp/2 speed pump in the Hayward Matrix series.

A pool that is
    15x30 with 48" height = 9,293 gallons
    15x30 with 52" height = 10,620 gallons

Even with a heater, there is no real need for a 2 hp pump.

For better energy efficiency, take a look at the 150 sq ft filter with the 1.5 hp/ 2 speed model.
    They cost about $50 more than the single speed model, but in most cases you could save this amount in energy costs within the first season of use.

New for 2011, Hayward is offering the 1 hp/ 2 speed system.

Another energy saving option is a timer.
    Check out the models with the optional microprocessor timer.
    This timer on the rear of the motor allows you to select 6, 12, 18 or 24 hour run times.
    http://www.haywardflowcontrol.com/webap ... Id=1014709
    poolschoolgrad

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.

4. Back To Top    #4

Why do the pool stores sell you the wrong size for your pool? I emailed my sales guy to get the model number. If the pump is a 2 speed what hp would it run on when its on low?
    15x30x54 AquaLeader Sentinelle AGP
    2 HP 2 Speed Hayward SwimPro Voyager Pump
    Hayward SwimPro Voyager 150 sq. ft. Filter
    Hayward H series millivolt 150 btu Heater
    TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1
    Why do the pool stores sell you the wrong size for your pool? I emailed my sales guy to get the model number. If the pump is a 2 speed what hp would it run on when its on low?
    Here is an interesting tip from poolsolutions.com that addresses why PS use this as a mktg tactic

http://www.poolsolutions.com/tips/the-b ... -scam.html
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Large pumps provide visually obvious water movement, which leads to satisfied customers. Months later when you realize how much the electricity is costing it is too late to return the pump.

Small filters cost less, which most people who don't know better prefer. After a couple of years cleaning a filter weekly you realize how much more money a larger filter is worth.

1.5 HP is still way too large. For that mater, 1 HP is usually too large, but that is the smallest you can normally get in a two speed.

On low speed a normal two speed motor is 1/4 the HP it is on high speed, so a 2 HP is 1/2 HP on low and a 1 HP is 1/4 HP on low. On low speed the pump moves half as much water, but uses around 1/4 as much electricity, so you save 50% off your electric bill.

High speed is occasionally useful for things like vacuuming or draining the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I was one of the converts to the bigger filter/smaller pump mode of thinking after these good people convinced me last year. I'd been a pool owner for over 10 years doing exactly as the pool store told me and I feel dumb for it. The point is, my 3/4HP Pentair Pump with 420sq ft cartridge filter serves me well and I'm saving tons of money on electricity.
    Clearwater, Florida

12,000 gallon kidney shaped gunite pool
    Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP Pump
    Pentair CCP420 420sq/ft Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Intellibrite 5G 120V Pool Light