Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leaving Poolvergnuegen in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Leaving Poolvergnuegen in pool

TFP Team:

Is it generally considered a bad practice to leave a Poolvergnuegen cleaner in the pool for days at a time? I assume doing so could shorten its lifespan, but no idea if that's the case.

Just looking for feedback. It is nice to just have it in the pool throughout a rainy and/or windy period. However, while not the most expensive thing in the world, i wouldn't want to have to buy a new one in the next five years or so.

Thanks in advance.
    Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-4 - Pentair Tagelus TA 100D
    16x32 Vinyl Rectangle 3.5 to 8 ft deep - One skimmer, One dedicated suction, three returns - 2" PVC
    Poolvergnuegen Two Wheel Suction Cleaner - One Poolskim
    Inter-Fab T7 Diving Board w/Edgewater Assy - Four Pentair Deck Jets - Intermatic T10604R
    Circupool RJ45 - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit (purchased prior to learning of the TF-100, unfortunately)

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Leaving Poolvergnuegen in pool

We put them in full time year around. Doing this you may have to put a new set of tires on in a few years.
    What you are talking about is very minor use, no worries.
    Just make sure you dont coil the hose.

3. Back To Top    #3

I leave mine in the pool nearly all the time and it has been 5+ of operation. So far I haven't seen much degradation althouigh soon I will be on my third set of tires but that is because I run the cleaner almost every day.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Awesome. That's great to know. Thanks everyone.

For you guys that have replaced tires, can anyone comment on the difference in performance in the default tires and the ones which are made for vinyl and fiberglass when used in a vinyl liner pool? I am considering buying a set of these, but not sure if they will work as well as the default tires, since my drain covers are fairly high.

Here's a pic of the ones they say are best for vinyl liners:

Here's a pic of the ones i have now:

Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-4 - Pentair Tagelus TA 100D
    16x32 Vinyl Rectangle 3.5 to 8 ft deep - One skimmer, One dedicated suction, three returns - 2" PVC
    Poolvergnuegen Two Wheel Suction Cleaner - One Poolskim
    Inter-Fab T7 Diving Board w/Edgewater Assy - Four Pentair Deck Jets - Intermatic T10604R
    Circupool RJ45 - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit (purchased prior to learning of the TF-100, unfortunately)

5. Back To Top    #5

I have only used the first ones but from what I understand, the second set are useful if your cleaner gets hung up on the floor drain or anything else. Otherwise, the first set work fine.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

I've had The Pool Cleaner for 3-1/2 seasons and keep it in the pool all the time and run it for 2 hours every day (well, at night). I need to replace the bag almost every year and have had to replace a wheel that broke at the attachment to the body and one hose and two couplings.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    I leave mine in the pool nearly all the time and it has been 5+ of operation. So far I haven't seen much degradation althouigh soon I will be on my third set of tires but that is because I run the cleaner almost every day.
    X2 - except I haven't had the need to replace tires. I have them on standby, though...
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

8. Back To Top    #8

I came across this thread, which asked the very question I had. Would leaving The PoolCleaner in the pool all the time shorten it's lifetime?

Looks like lots of folks leave theirs in the pool all the time, some of them even running most of the time that the pump is running. Guess if it is running all the time when the pump is running, then some parts would wear out faster, like tires.

On my pool I have a Intelliflo VF pump, and it uses substantially more electricity when The Pool Cleaner is running. So, my plan is to often just disconnect the hose at the skimmer, and let it sit (not running) in the pool.

Hopefully sitting in the pool water (and not running) won't shorten it's lifetime.
    40 x 16 (28k gallon) plaster pool, Intelliflo VF pump, Hayward 48 sq. ft. DE filter, using Purifiber, using BBB, TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

It's mostly the bag that will deteriorate faster from the chlorine. It's supposed to be chlorine-resistant, but I think it still degrades slowly over a year or two if kept in the water all the time.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

10. Back To Top    #10

And Chem Geek, that bag you are talking about it something that is only on the pressure Pool Cleaners, correct? So those that have suction Pool Cleaners don't have to worry about the bag....
    40 x 16 (28k gallon) plaster pool, Intelliflo VF pump, Hayward 48 sq. ft. DE filter, using Purifiber, using BBB, TF-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes, that's right. The bag is only on the pressure cleaner.